Anyone try KT150 in Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP

I love my HP. I've had it over a year and have rolled KT120 into it from the EL34. I like both sets. But the EL is more "liquid". The sound is awesome. With the KT120s I like the added power and punch. But it can be a bit fatiguing. It's the midrange glare that I notice most. So I wonder if anyone has rolled KT 150s into it. Does it keep most of the niceness of the EL 34s?  Do the 150s have less of that midrange glare?  

What at are your thoughts if you've tried this?  Maybe Kevin Deal has an opinion?  
128x128soundermn

Showing 3 responses by parsons

I can soundly recommend the move to 150s in the HP...I went from 88s to 120s and noticed the same changes.  I didn't get so much of the fatigue but did hear the harshness / glare at higher volumes.  Great sound but it was there...but not enough to go back to the 88s or 34s.

Then I wanted "more" and after much good advice and reading, popped the $800 or so for 8 150s.  Everything I could find concern with on the 120s were removed...from the second I popped them in.  With burn-in they got even smoother.  Quite simply...I would never go back...I really love this amp with 150s.

The power has always been overkill for my Zu speakers, but they respond so well to high-energy passages that I think it improves the already impressive dynamics even further.

I have the integrated and it's superb, but I didn't realize how phenomenal this amp was until I put a few really good pre-amps in front, and the further improvements were astounding.  Running through the home theater bypass inputs, you still get the phenomenal headphone amp too.  I own a First Watt SIT-2, which is also a phenomenal amp, but the HP with 150s is just slightly better or at least as good in almost every way.  I could only give the slightest nod to micro dynamics to the SIT-2...but this is slight at best.  The HP (with 150s) has even more punch and feels even more like live music...which I know is insanely high praise given how good the SIT-2 is.  However, the HP is only that good with 150s, in my opinion.

There are two downsides to 150s in this amp...the cage doesn't fit on any longer (if that matters), and on a personal level, I do not think they are a sexy-looking tube, so you have to look at them even more with the cage off.  But sound wins over vanity!

I haven't read a post where someone regretted the upgrade for any amp that can take them.  I doubt you will prefer the 120 or 88 sound over them.

1" is plenty, and you could probably get away with 3/4" or even 1/2".

I've gotten used to my cage being off, and my kids are old enough now not to touch the tubes.  But your idea to lift it is a good one.
I was totally a triode-mode guy for the first 18 or so months of the 150s.  I updated my cabling all around the system to Audience SX (from SE), and I put a really clean pre-amp in front.  After that (I think it was the combo), I preferred ultra-linear.  I think all the things that ulta-linear wasn't as great at before was now totally an improvement and more "live" sounding.  Triode still sounds fantastic, but ultra-linear is just a little more "there."

If you are loving your 120s and don't feel like anything is missing, then I wouldn't touch a thing.  For me, the 150s were just a little bit "more" of the same...more scale for my smallish room.