Anyone know the Shahinian Diapason Ensemble????

I just bought a pair locally and got them hooked up and really like them sort-of.  I've had horns for the last 40 years and these are a different beast.  Dennis.

djnagle

Showing 2 responses by br3098

@djnagle  What information are you seeking? You didn't really ask a question in your first post. It was more of an announcement.

I have owned Shahinian Obelisks and recently purchased a pair of Hawks. I have not owned the Diapasons. I find that Vasken Shahinian and his team are very fair and straightforward. I had Shahinian refurbish a pair of used Ob 1s that I purchased for a song but needed a lot of work. I couldn't have been happier with the results or the price. Well... I guess that they could have done the work for free, if they really wanted to impress me 😁

But seriously, if you think that any audio component should be judged priced based on the raw cost of the components (even assuming that you have correctly identified this $20 passive radiator) then I suggest that you should design and build your own speakers.

All that aside, how can we help you?
I have always enjoyed the "presentation" (sound stage, imaging) from omnidirectional speakers. I am familiar with the various permutations the Ohm line, and I was a dealer for Larsen speakers for several years. I am still enchanted by my Shahinians. I think they sound closer to live acoustic music than any other speakers I have owned or have significant experience with.

I recently purchased the Hawks because, as much as I enjoy the Obelisks I wanted more. OK, I'm greedy. I imagine that your  Diapasons will provide even more goodness. What size room are you placing them and how are you positioning them?

Another reason is that I really want to biamp these speakers, which isn't possible with the Ob 1s. My Hawks need to be restored, so they will be going to Long Island shortly. But my tests so far indicate that the top cap (midrange and tweeters) is less efficient than the woofer in the bass cabinets. So my initial idea of running a moderate (40Wpc) tube amp on the top and a SS amp for the bass cabinet may not work out as planned. We'll see after they come back from restoration.