Anyone else in my shoes? Ears going.........

I just turned 63 and I think I'm going to have to settle for the gear I have with no more improvements. I don't think I can hear the differance any more.

I think I have a pretty good HT setup and a very nice analog rig (for what I can afford), but I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns as far as my aging ears go.

On the plus side, I really enjoy what I have, and my headphone amp and Sennheiser 650's really maximize what's left when I choose the headphoen option.
joe_in_seattle

Showing 1 response by leatherneck1812

I turned 49 in February. I have been a carpenter since I was 18, and have always listened to pretty loud music as well. About 5 years ago really started to pay attention to my hearing. I have had tinnitus for a while too with more hearing loss in my right ear than my left. I have become as OCD about my ears as I have about my gear. Earplugs when I work and run any machinery.
I can actually get my ringing to lessen a great deal with a 20 minute hot bath, ears below the water line, and concetrating on quieting the noise, calming my breathing, and trying to create a feeling of complete relaxation.

I have read that tinnitus is a result of your brain compensating for the frequencies that you have lost the ability to hear, hence the high frequency ringing. I figure if my brain is compensating for the loss subconciously, and the tones are actually generated from within, with enough concentration, maybe I can shut them down. It may sound crazy but real or imagined (does it matter?) I can quiet it down for periods of time, even though it doesn't seem to be getting any quieter as a whole I don't think it has gotten any louder either.