Any way to "improve" a Conrad Johnson MF 2500

I recently purchased a 10 year old CJ MF2500 amplifier. It is in perfect condition and it sounds excellent, but I noticed a hum coming from my speakers when it is turned on. It got me thinking, since there is no way to upgrade the power cord, if there was a way to "refurbish" or update the amp. I don't know if that is something normal for a solid state amp, but it's sounds so good and is in such good shape that I thought I would see what the rest of you thought. It would be nice to see it work for another ten years.
jeffatus

Showing 2 responses by jeffatus

Thanks for the replies. I read a review of the amp on Steroephile and the reviewer addressed the hum with a Shakti Stone. What the heck is that?

"........One note I should make here: when I first connected the amp, it did hum a little. I checked all of my connections and everything was tight. Instead of experimenting with cheater plugs, which I don’t like to use, I put a Shakti Stone on top of the amp, center towards the rear. The hum went right away and all of my listening was done without a trace of hum."

I have already contacted CJ and I am waiting for their response. Anyone have an idea of how much the upgrade to the "A" model costs? I wonder if it's worth it. Should it be given the "once over" by CJ without the "A" upgrade because it is ten years old?

Thanks for your advice.

Jeff
Thanks for the responses. I am surprised that the Shatki Stone is considered snake oil, since the reviewer on Steroephile used it.....makes me wonder about the reviewer.

Chuck, I talked to the seller of the amp and he said he had both the MF 2500 and MF 2500A versions at one point, but sold the MF 2500A because it seemed to lose the musicality that he enjoyed in the non A version. He told me this after i already bought it, so there is not the concern his recommendation was colored by his wanting to sell the non A version. Can you tell me your experience when you upgraded? What speakers were you using at the time?