Any thoughts on Krell

Just wondering if anyone out there is getting frustrated with Krells continued changing of product lines and designs. I have been a very loyal Krell user, but I am feeling that Krell has changed their business philosophy. I have coughed up a ton of dough on KPS25SC, KAS's, FPB's, and the AVS which turned out to be non upgradable. each time I settle in to these large investments, Krell changes the look and the entire line. The value of the "last version" drops like a rock for all of us users. Unlike a brand like McIntosh that has a philosphy of at least leaving the appearance the same. Perhaps I am bit sensitive on this topic. Any thoughts?
strenckr

Showing 1 response by upgrade1394

I think the most relevant point which Stenckr raised is about the non-upgradeability of the AVS! Part of the justification for the high price of the AVS was the claim that Krell products do not get obsolete- you can upgrade to the latest rather than buying new. However, with the AVs Krell failed in abig way- at no point was it seriously upgradeable other than the DTS option. Same is now true for the HTS2 and current HTS7.1- no way to get HDMI switching and with most newer display devices shunning component video for HDMI this is a major handicap. Moreover, for those of us with the necessary funds and desire to buy the latest, Krell has no new processor available as of now. The unit exhibited at the (which show?) early this year is still on the drawing board. Change in cosmetics is not a big issue, atleast for me. Nowadays with outstanding metal work available for peanuts (literally) from Asian manufacturers, it is easy and cheap for Krell to change cosmetics. It is very possible that the reason cosmetics stayed constant in earlier years was due to the high tooling costs and paucity of alternate sources. Just my opinion, ofcourse.