Any one compared a Lampizator to Weiss 202 DAC?

Hi, I'm looking for a great DAC, and am auditioning a tube based Lampizator Level 3 (list $3,900) and it sounds terrific. I'm also thinking of going up to the Lamp level 4 (list $6,000) or the Weiss 202 ($5,400 or so on Audiogon). The more money is a big push but I'm completely digitally based (CD and Mac Mini) so over time it may be worth it. Any body hear the Weiss and the Lamp and have notes on what the differences are? Thanks.
ldworet

Showing 1 response by rilbr

I would not say shootouts are completely useless, but they are flawed unless the cables and other components are optimized for each DAC (or other components of a shootout).

The wrong cables will kill a component's sound. I've done this many times; taking my best sounding cable for one component and put them on the new component, only to get terrible sound. This also applies to Transport-DAC combinations, Amp to speaker combos, etc.

Many DACs sound better with a really good preamp, even though they can be connected directly to the amps. Put a different DAC in, and it may sound better without the preamp.

So the people doing the shootout, really have their work cut out for them, if they want to be thorough.