any comments on the rotel 1066 surround processor?

I'M LOOKING AT THE ROTEL 1066 AS MY SURROUND PROCESSOR. I'M USING A C-J 5600 AMP AND BW 805'S AS MY SPEAKERS. WHAT YOUR COMMENTS?
cconraddaef

Showing 2 responses by rxlarry99

I'm also running the Rotel in 5.1 and that's all anyone would really need to fill an average size room with surround sound; I was told 7.1 is more appropriate for an exceptionally large room. I also agree with you that too many DSP effects are not necessary and I only use 3 at most. I'll look forward to reading your review of the Rotel after you've given it a listening in your system. Good luck!
Hi cconrad. I actually have virtually the same setup as you are proposing. I have a 5.1 HT system with Marantz DV-12S1 DVD player, Rotel 1066, McCormack DNA HT-5 amp, B&W HTM Center, and B&W 805's Front & Rear (all on Sound Anchor stands). I'm running the DVD player to the Rotel's digital input and I've been very satisfied with it's performance, especially in DTS. Foreverhifi is probably correct in stating that the Rotel will be the weakest link in this such system and that a Classe could sound better; however I've personally never listened to any Classe products, but many audiophiles on here seem to like their stuff. Overall though, I've been very satisfied with this system and the only upgrade I may look into some day is a Theta Casablanca after the Rotel, but for now the Theta is way out of my budget. I previously had a Yamaha A/V processor which in my opinion sounded very flat and non-involving compared to the Rotel 1066, so I decided to upgrade and debated on getting the Rotel 1066 or B&K AVR 307, so I did a side by side comparison in my dealer's store of the Rotel 1066 versus B&K AVR 307, just comparing the B&K's pre-amp section (I didn't care for the amp section). The Rotel sounded noticeably better in more low-level detail coming through, but it was a very close call between the two. Interestingly, the B&K AVR 307's pre-amp section is pretty much their B&K Reference 30 which can be bought separately I believe for $2500-$3000 new, compared to the Rotel 1066 for $1500 which is built excellent like the B&K and is upgradeable. I also had considered getting the CJ MF5600 as you because I see them for sale on Audiogon, but decided on the McCormack DNA HT5 after auditioning their DNA 125 and 225 amps and loving the detail that came through. I do happen to have a CJ MF2500A 2-channel amp for my music system and love it! Both companies make great amps so I don't think you could go wrong with either one (CJ owns McCormack now anyways). Well, hope I helped you out and that you try some dealer demos yourself before making a decision, especially if you can demo a Classe. Then if the Classe sounds alot better and you can get one on audiogon for $1000 go for it, otherwise I'm sure you'd be very happy with the Rotel. Good luck to you!