Analog maintenance

I know there are a few posts on this one, but I had a specific question. Here's my ritual:

* clean my LPs using a VPI 16.5;
* periodically wipe the surfaces of the TNT and 16.5
* platters, as well as the 16.5's vacuum tube with three
* dedicated sponges moistened with distilled water;
* use Extreme Phono's Solid Stylus Cleaner on my cartridge before each listening session;
* use LAST stylus cleaner between LP sides

I do not do anything re: LP static or cartridge demag. Should I? If yes, any suggestions?

Thanks.
128x128flyfish2002

Showing 3 responses by flyfish2002

Never thought of that. My wife is already jealous enough, though, and that might put her over the edge. :->
Lot's of great advice. Thanks. I will wean myself down on the LAST and use it about every 10 albums or so.

For some reason, I do collect a bit of dust during LP playback. I put a pristine LP on the TT and when I pick it up after playing, there is a bit of dust on the stylus. I can remove that easily.

Anyone else using the Extreme Phono's Solid Stylus Cleaner? It is a very viscous gel that you dip the stylus into and then remove the stylus immediately. Not only does the gel clean the stylus, but also "grabs" any dust or particles.

Best
Thanks. I do place all LPs after they are cleaned on the VPI 16.5 in a brand new rice paper sleeve - I bought a bunch. If the stock sleeve is just a sleeve of paper, I disgard it.

The dust appears on hte LP surface (and therefore the stylus) after I play the LP - it must be from the area of the basement in which I listen. If I merely place the LP in a rice sleeve after cleaning with the VPI 16.5, it never energes dusty.

Plenty to think about re: the gel cleaner I am using. I plan to explore this and the Walker Talisman (if only I could swing the Walker Procesnium :-)

Thanks.