AMPS: PM2000 or Pass X5 or ?

I am assembling what I consider to be my 'last' audio system for a looong time, and I have a bit of a dilemma on the amplifier.

My existing system has a Pass Aleph 3, along with EAD transport and DAC, and Sonic Frontiers preamp, to Hales Concept 3 speakers. My new system is a HT/music system that has an EAD TVP, EAD TM Signature, and an EAD PM1000. (I'm still waiting on delivery of the TM Sig)

Unfortunately, I think I am not satisifed with the performance of the PM1000, and am thinking about moving up to a 'better' amp for this system. The problem is that I am spoiled by the Aleph 3! The PM1000 just isn't as smooth or as clean as the Aleph 3, and I want my 2-channel listening to be better than it is right now. The PM1000 also suffers from an audible hisssss when turned on (not the hummm that comes from power interference).

So, my question is can anyone give me a fair review of the PM2000 compared to the Pass X5, or, compared to an X150 and X3 combo?

In this price range, what other amps would you suggest that are good HT amps, but more importantly, excellent 2-channel amps? I'm in a place where there is no high end audio/HT stores, so I need to do some elimination of options before I go out to try out some amps in the nearest city (Philadelphia, 4 hours away).

One thought that I had was to buy a second Aleph 3, and an Aleph 5, and run the whole system off Alephs. However, I am concerned that the Alephs are not dynamic enough for HT listening.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
mjm6

Showing 1 response by avdcreations

X3?...not sure what that is actually. However, I've extensive experience with the Pass X150 amp, and it's fine fine amp!..as long as you run it via the XLR inputs!!! It doesn't sound near as good via RCA hookups!
Anyway, here's a thought...The hales are really lowish efficiency and sensitivity speakers, and they need a higher wattage/high current amp to make em go! If your planning on some 5 channel home theater applications, and like to crank it up pretty hard, may I suggest that the X150 (being a strong amp indeed at 75w/class a and 150w/class AB) is a minimum for the fronts! Certainly, this X150 is a much much better amp than Pass's X5 multi channel amp!...which is just OK comparitively! The X250 would be in order if you could swing the extra cash, and like to push the system at the THX level once in a while also! However, if you can cross the Hales Concepts 3's over to cut out some of the bass for HT, you'll be way ahead of the game! (most full range/non self powered speakers can play much bellow 50 hertz for home theater without crapping out!) And in this case, you might get away using the X150 up front...?
My solution for your 2 channel/5 channel needs, assuming your trying to use all in one system,which is not ideal if you can't match center channel and rear with the mains actually, is to use the supperior sound Pass X150 situation for the mains, and something like a very good ATI 3 channel amp or above for center and rears!!!! The Aragon 3 channel 8008BB would also work very well with the X150!...keeping a similar tonallity through out!...
Anyway, have fun