Amplifier Input Impedance

Why are so many high-power solid state amps designed with such low input impedances. Doesn't that really low input impedance limit the range of pre amps that can be used? Are there technical reasons why designers make these impedances so low? Why not design your muscle amp with a really high input impedance so it will potentially work well with all pre amps?
stickman451

Showing 3 responses by stickman451

Recently I was in the hunt for a really good set of 'muscle amps' to use on my Magnepan 20.7's and it was a little frustrating to see just how many big-name powerful SS anps have atrociously low input impedance.
But, a good designer could in fact design a powerful SS amp with a high input impedance if pushed...
It is true that the Hovland has a pretty nasty output impedance which is just as unforgivable as exceedingly low input impedance monster amps. My point is only that this hobby hs quite enough challenges in producing great musical sound in the home, so why do some designers complicate matters with silly impedance design.

For example, the Bryston "Flagship" 28B SST2 mono blocks spec at 15,000 ohms. The Aragon Iriduim, same input impedance. These are just two examples (not trying to beat-up on these companys); there are many many other examples.