Amp / Preamp for Focal 1007 BE Speakers?

Hello all - I would like some amp/preamp or integrated amp suggestions from fellow Focal 1007BE owners.

Here's my current setup -

Transporter (wireless) with all files Apple Lossless format
Jolida 502B integrated
Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cables
Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Interconnects

I like the sound from my setup but the bass is too thin for my liking. I am a bass player, so naturally like a little more oomph than most. I mostly listen to acoustic and acoustic rock music - Dave Mattews, Howie Day, Damien Rice but also like some more upbeat rock every once in awhile.

I figured that the Jolida at 60 watts wasn't supplying enough power, so demo'd a DK VS-1 MkII integrated (160 watts) over the weekend. I was not impressed at all - the sound was very sterile and the bass levels actually dropped from the Joilda. I guess that I'm a tube guy!

Here's what I have been thinking - whatever direction I go, I think it's critical that the pre or integrated have some sort of tone controls so that I can get the bass level where I'm happy. With that said, does anyone have any good ideas on pre / amp or integrated? I would be buying used and can spend up to about 4K.

The McIntosh MA6900 seems like it might be a sweet match as it has a 5-band equalizer. I have not heard the Macs but hear they lean towards warm sounding, so a solid state Mac might not be problematic.

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ken
keoliphant

Showing 1 response by mordante

I am no subwoofer expert by any means, but if I had the need and money for a sub I would not buy a REL. Some time ago I heard what a Velodyne sub from the DD series can do. I don't think there is any REL that can do the same. Maybe 2 DD10's would be nice.