Amp newbie? Adcom GFA-555 vs Mcintosh 2505

Hi I'm definitely a newbie, and already know my initial choices in starting my first adult sound system will make experienced folks around here cringe...but I'm wondering if I might still garnish a bit of insight to help reduce additional "bad" choices or steepen the learning curve just a bit.

From the beginning; I went and auditioned speakers at Best Buy, and of course fell in love with Martin Logans...and decided to order a pair of Magnepan MMGs (not a bad start right?). Did some research and bought a HK3490, maybe not the wisest choice...kind of wish I had started with separates...but it should be able to handle the MMGs...I know I amjumping the gun a little because I have not even heard this combo due to some shipping issues with Magnepan...but my question is this...I'm thinking I can use the HK3490 as my preamp and add a separate amp?

And the real question how do you compare amps...I am looking at a few intro. affordability choices like the Adcom GFA-555 rated at 200w/channel vs. the Mcintosh 2505 rated at 50w/channel...but I'm under the belief it's not just the watts, but the amps that are driving them...otherwise my HK3490 at 120w/channel should have the juice to power the maggies...so how do I know which will deliver a better sound for the buck...and more importantly...how many watts do I really need?
windhorze

Showing 2 responses by blindjim

I'll take a shot here and suppose the Maggies are monitors, not panels, right? Also that their impedance is above 4 ohms, right?

If so, then perhaps first things first... connect them (when they arrive) to the HK.... and go from there.

True, there are watts and then tere are WATTS, but the speakers needs for power and control as well as the room they're in pretty much determine what size amp should push them... your preffs will deteremine which size amps 'voice' will do it for you.

If you have preamp outputs, sure, another amp can be added/used instead of the rec's amps. As much as I'd probably prefer the Mac over the Adcom, the 50wpc bothers me a lot... but does depend on how much volume you want to get out of the speakers... and that's where your preffs and the room size comes into play.

I think the bulk of SS amps range around the 150 - 250wpc mark. Almost every amp maker out there makes one in that area. having one on hnad which has the numbers allows you more flexibility with speakers... and usually, only less power damges them, not more power.

Take you thesis a step further... a Krell KSA 50 OR LEVINSON ON THE SAME ORDER, SHOULD BE STILL MORE ADEPT THAN THE MAC...

Try the HK and go from there. Odyssey makes some great sounding amps and are routinely traded here for reasonable rates.
Windhorze

Power ratings of receivers won’t usually double when imp is halved… as some other amps will. That doubling down aspect is no reason to reject an amp either.

RE Audio 12 step

First things first…. Place a greater priority on what you have, rather than what you desire. It’ll always work itself out. Always. One day at a time.

Turning off the personal confuser and listening to your system will help immensely too.