Amp for Sonus Faber Cremona - old model

I have the upgrade bug, and am considering replacing my Simaudio i7 integrated amp. My system consists of i7 and Supernova by Simaudio, Cremona speakers (not M) and an SVS PB12 sub.

I have no real complaints other than the speakers can sound a bit forward at times, and maybe some distortion at high volumes ;). I want to try separates, and I plan on taking my time and auditioning several systems. This may involve bringing my speakers in to a shop - although some of the shops in my area will allow me to bring gear home for a trial.

I've already upgraded twice from lower power amps, and find that the Cremonas need a lot of good quality power.

I'm thinking of the P/W7 from Sim as a start. What would you suggest? I've never tried tubes but would like to do so.
fundsgon

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

The Cremona can punch way above it's class if powered correctly. Forget about it's 90db/w/m efficiency rating. It needs big, smooth, creamy power.

By far the best I've ever heard Cremonas was powered by a pair og McIntosh MC1201 mono blocks, 1200w each. Sensational! Too much or too big? Then work down the line to your price point, used or new: MC501s, MC402 -- you want one of the big power auto former amps, quad-differential if possible. But the MA6900, MA7000 and even the MA6600 integrateds will sound great on Cremona.

Phil