Amp for Paradgim Studio 100

Just upgraded from Paradigm mini-monitors to Studio 100's. Now I'd like to get a great amp to match these great speakers. I have an Arcam 72T Cd player which is very revealing and forward which when combined with the metal tweeter can sound a bit bright at time. Been thinking of getting the Musical Fidelity A300cr amp or Odyssey monoblocks. Which one would be better? Looking for something to tame the 100's as well. Do these amps have a warm but detailed sound to them?
merlocpm2227

Showing 2 responses by bishopwill

I'm running Paradigm 100v2s with a Parasound 1500A in my HT setup and getting very satisfactory results. I'm not sure just what "faults" in the 100s that Celery is talking about. The most common problems I've heard with them have been caused by dynamic compression from amps that are too wimpy to drive them properly. Also, Paradigms are not the ideal choice for "background listening." They definitely are at their best--especially in the midrange--when played at moderate to high levels.
Thanks for the clarification, Celery. I certainly do not see the 100s as the be all and end all of reproducers, though I'm very happy with them in my HT setup. I find that many folks who accuse them of having a hot top end really are hearing a rather laid back midrange that doesn't come forward and join the band until the speakers are played at medium to high levels. Just my opinion, of course. I also think that some folks, remembering the early efforts of tweeter manufacturers, learn that the 100 uses a metal dome tweeter and just assume it's going to be hot.