Am I asking too much?

I've spent the last three days chasing a ground loop/hiss issue.  I have unplugged and replugged every combination possible, have tried different type of grounds to phono stage, tried different phono stages, different lines into the amp, different turntables and still when I crank the volume with nothing playing, have this hiss.  At lower volumes I don't hear it, but if I turn it up, it's there.  I probably would never listen that loud, but still worry that at base levels the sound is compromised.  I've had this system connected for a month and don't know if the hiss was always there, or if, when I had to rearrange and reconnect due to Christmas and the wife factor, something changed.

My system is a Line Magnetic LM216IA tube amp, a Heed phono stage, a Rega Planar 3 TT (which doesn't have a ground wire) which plays to Audio Physic bookshelves and a JL Audio e110 sub. One of my biggest concerns has been the lack of ground with the Planar 3.

My system is plugged into a Torus Power Conditioner, so I thing I have that base covered into a dedicated line.  With all these electrical precautions am I expecting too much asking for a black speaker background?

Will be interested to hear similar ground loop stories or thoughts on whether there are other issues that I haven't considered.

udog

Showing 1 response by batman1971

What’s the s/n ratings on your components.   If they are not close that could cause your issue.   Also have you biased the amp?   If not you might want to start there