akm4497 vs. ess9038pro

I have the musical paradise mp-d2 mkI with akm4490 and love the sound, here's my question. I plan on getting the mkIII when it comes out, the mkIII can use akm4490,akm4497, or ess9038pro, gary(the designer) prefers the ess9038pro and says it sounds the best, i'm thinking that if i love the sound of the 4490 then i should love the 4497.
what are your thoughts 4497 or 9038pro?

ps. dac chips add extra to the dac, 4490 $100, 4497 $250, ess9038pro $380

www.musicalparadise.com

128x128mboldda1
The ESS chip measure the best. So there is nothing better right now. That said, it is the implementation by the DAC designer that is far more important. A slightly inferior chip will sound a lot better in a good DAC design than the best chip in a poor design.
I agree wholeheartedly with shadorne he's bang on there. as an example I have the Oppo Sonica DAC which uses the ESS chips and after a bit of after warranty tinkering ( new caps, silver wire throughout and RFI clamps on Longish runs ) I feel it can compete with my CD player which uses AKM chips namely the Gryphon Mikado Signature so we have a DAC at £800.00 competing against a CD player at £12,000 and there is not much in it . The Mikado sounds more refined but the Oppo has bucketloads of detail and a very exiting sound.

I tested the AKM chips for a new DAC design I was doing.  Could not get them to sound musical, so I went with an Analog Devices chip. Maybe the switched-capacitor filters are at fault.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

More to discover