Advantages of upgrade from VPI 16.5 RCM

I wonder if any fellow A'goners have upgraded their RCMs from a VPI 16.5 to the higher end VPI models ie VPI 17 or the Typhoon 27 or any other brand eg Clearaudio, Hannl or Acoustictech and the perceived advantages, if any, of such upgrade in terms of superior cleaning etc etc. The mega bucks that some audiophiles lavish on their vinyl front end would presumably demand the best cleaning device available.Have been using a VPI 16.5 for over a year while I am satisfied that the RCM cleaning regimen(with AVIS one step and distilled water) coupled with steam cleaning does give decent results there are several lps, some fairly new , in which the pop and crackle is a constant feature,(despite anti static gun etc etc). A recent review of the VPI 27 in Soundstage, in which MM while preferring the VPI 27 over the VPI 17, did not find any distinct advantage on account of the superior cleaning power/ more powerful vaccuum motor of the VPI 27, set me thinking.
Would appreciate the advice/comments of A'goners who have done an upgrade or contemplated one.
Many thanks in anticipation.
128x128sunnyboy1956

Showing 2 responses by sunnyboy1956

A slight tweaking of my cleaning regimen has led to some perceptible though not dramatic improvements which I can happily live with until the Loricraft PRC 4 arrives. A periodic steam cleaning of the velvet wand and the MoFi dry brush followed by dry cleaning with a toothbrush is highly recommended. I only clean what I listen to in an evening, usually no more than 3/4 lps max. Hence, a once a week steaming works fine for me( I don't steam clean every record, only the ones that sound bad).
Cheers and Happy Listening
Mark, DougDeacon, Sonofjim,Doktorgigi and others : many thanks. The collective wisdom and experience of A'goners(which I deeply respect) clearly suggests that additional vacuuming power will not help so long as a felt tip wand is there to churn the filth back into the grooves( good point Mark).
I guess since I don't have easy access to the entire range of cleaning fluids, the upgrade was a possibility, which I will now abandon, till I can afford a Loricraft!!
Doktorgigi
My collection is growing at an alarming rate. Every trip Stateside results in at least 25/30 lps. I have been to the US twice this year and you can guess what the numbers are like!! Its mostly new/reissue vinyl bought online and second hand vinyl bought from Acoustic Sounds that in almost every case is , IMHO, equal if not better than the 180/200 gm vinyl. What I love about the used vinyl from Acoustic Sounds is that it is invariably cleaned and repackaged in fresh clothing. My experience with used vinyl shops is mixed including last weeks visit to NYC.
Cheers and Happy listening