Adding Sub to current system

I currently have a pair of Sonus Faber Electa speakers. These speakers have 6" and 1" drivers respectively and have a 1st order crossover. The popular magazine test disk demonstrate the speakers go down to about 40HZ. I'm interested in what I'm missing below 40HZ besides just a non-musical "BOOM". I know for a price musical Sub's are available, but would it be an exercise in futility trying to integrate a Sub into my system? The spot I would choose for it would be to the left of my speakers in a corner - your thoughts please!
Rpg
rpg

Showing 1 response by philb7777

I would absolutely use or attempt to experiment with a sub. You truly don't know what you are missing without the added weight of a few dB of 20-40 Hz. I have tried a REL sub recently with full range floor standing speakers in an upstairs room with dimensions that just won't support enough below 40 Hz. I found the REL integrated seamlessly with my room/system. REL recommends using the supplied Neutrik cable that hooks directly to your amplifier speaker terminals. This allows the quickest bass response and integration.

You have absolutely nothing to lose but some time. Get a used REL studio or strata on Audiogon and try it for a month or so experimenting with crossover and room position. If you don't like it enough to keep it, put it back on the 'Gon. REL subs sell like hotcakes in the used market. You won't lose a penny of your money. I'm betting once you try it, you'll keep it.