Adcom GFP-750 vs Parasound P/LD-2000 Preamps?

More opinions, please:Between the Adcom GFP-750 preamp and the Parasound P/LD-2000, which matches the best sonically with a Parasound HCA-3500 power amplifier ad Paradigm Studio 100 version 2 loudspeakers? Your impressions of them when comparing them head-to-head?
daltonlanny

Showing 1 response by mitch2

Sorry, but I haven't heard the Parasound. FWIW, I owned the Adcom for over a year, then had it upgraded with Stan Warren's Black Gate cap upgrade. Very detailed, but somewhat bright with a propensity of becoming etched in the upper frequencies on some recordings. The black gates helped this, and generally smoothed things out a bit. Lots of options such as active/passive, HT pass through, and balanced/single ended. Dynamic in active mode, but kind of boring in passive mode (maybe careful system matching is in order). If you want to run passive, I believe there are better pre's out there such as Placette (one up now for $895) or Pass. It does ramp up fast in active mode as Danielk141 pointed out. My opinion is that with the options and features, and the detailed, dynamic sound, the Adcom is a bargin at the $600-$700 used price. However, I ultimately upgraded to a Muse 3 Signature, which I find to be a significant improvement.