ACI Titan II vs. Rel Storm III

I would like to add a sub to my system. My speakers go down to around the upper 30's but without a lot of output. I was sold on the Rel until I heard about the Titan for considerably less money.
dumboat

Showing 1 response by jd798ff8

Several friends and I spent the better part of a weekend comparing the Storm III vs. the Titan II. This was over a year ago before the LE came out. Both subs were well broken in. We played a large variety of music, we tried different placements, we adjusted levels and carefully tweeked the setups. Wasn't really very close. The Rel is good, but on many recordings it drew attention to itself, the Titan II never did that. The Titan II could also play to substantially higher levels without distortion. This isn't just something that is a factor for HT. A big difference on large scale classical music that uses a lot of percussion, pipe organ etc. With the Titan II we were also hearing more bass information and detail. The Titan II never lost the beat.
I've now had a pair of the Titan IIs playing in my system for over a year. In over 20 years as an audiophile I've heard countless systems in the loftier price ranges, I've rarely heard this quality of bass.
Considering the ACI is significantly less money, it is a pretty easy call. One of the nice things is that ACI has the 30 day money-back guarantee. I'd suggest that anyone who thinks the Rel is even close, (the Stadium III is probably a closer bet), get them both in-house, break them in good, tweek the setups, and I know which one you'll keep.