A new needle for B&O RX2 turntable or get a new TT

My local hifi store says the MMC5 needle(least expensive needle for the Bang&Olufsen)only has "a couple hours left on it", and suggests that I could get a new, better needle for it, but that I would do better by getting rid of the Rx2 altogether and getting another TT. But,the needle dealer says the Rx2 is worth putting a $900 needle on it (MMC1, the best). I am thinking of the MMC2 ($350) or the MMC3 ($230) needles. QUESTION...can I spend that kind of money and have something that sounds great? Or, is it wasted money? I like the auto cue and return on the RX2 and a new needle is still cheaper than a new/used TT/needle. Any one happy with the sound of their RX2 (with MMC2 or MMC3) compared to other TT options? SYSTEM: I have System Audio SA2k monitor speakers (completely awesome after auditioning for 1 year, My buddy and I each picked them after two days of blinded rotation/listening vs Thiel 2.3 vs Sonus Faber Grand Pianos thru Rotel seperates), Rotel 200wpc, Sunfire Sym Ref Preamp. Cost/value is very important. Thanks very much....I have lots of classic old vinyl to play!
phantom309

Showing 1 response by phantom309

Happy New Year! Thanks for your inputs, all of you, very helpful. CDs are primary, and I have 200 LPs that I pull in waves when I am going to sit. Most of it is '50s-'60s European and American classical, Frank, Nat King Cole, Kingston Trio, Louis A., E Power Biggs, and an incredible recording of the 1812. I will check out pricing on a Rega P3 (is that the table and the arm? with a needle being the variable? which needle?)
Thanks again, this is great help, Audiogoners.