A New Believer

I have listened to many systems over the years, and have never appreciated the difference speaker cables can make to a sound. In fact, I was so skeptical of the sound changes they can make that I have always not bothered with any special type of cables, generally going for generic (and dare I say it) roughly made ANY copper wire plugged in to amp and speaker. Well, imagine my surprise when I decided to do a blind test and listen to what difference cabling can make. Wow, my Vand 3A Sig's had been getting strangled! (some of you guys may want to strangle me if I told you what connects I had been using). So I am now a firm believer, cables DO make a difference.
joshc
Al: I am not sure I wholly agree with the concept that the speaker cables have an insignificant effect.

The simple fact that people hear a difference by changing the cables WITHOUT changing the speaker suggest that the cables must have a pretty dramatic effect in the coupling/performance of the amp and the speaker. Maybe the point you made was that the speaker is more complex than the wires but the bottom line is that the cables change the sound. Which really is the bottom line.
04-21-11: Stops
Al: I am not sure I wholly agree with the concept that the speaker cables have an insignificant effect....
Stops, with all due respect that is a complete misreading of what I have said, which surprises me after your previous response. My reference to speaker cables having a minor or negligible effect strictly applied to your comment about the effect of amplifier feedback on transient response, and applied to the role played by the speaker cable in that specific effect (relative to the more important role of the amplifier design itself, and the interaction of the amplifier with the speaker).

Early on in this thread, in my post dated 4-10-11, I explicitly seconded a comment by Audiofeil which said essentially that cable differences exist and are easily perceivable in many systems, but that the correlation between performance and price is small. I also expressed the view that the real question that should be focused on when it comes to cables is the degree of correlation between performance and price. I provided a link to a post I had made in another thread on that subject, in which I provided rationale for that position, at some length.

Everything else I have written in subsequent posts in this thread has been consistent with those viewpoints, that cables can and do make significant differences in many systems, but that in my opinion, and in the opinions of several others who have posted in this thread in addition to Audiofeil, the correlation between performance and price is a weak one.

Regards,
-- Al
Al: Sorry about that I guess I should have read that more carefully.I also am guilty of not reading your earlier post.

I DO agree with all you have said before.

Your point also about poor correlation abetween performance and price is exactly what I suggested when I volunteered the Anti Cables as an example.

I should stop shooting myself in the foot!

Regards,
Jake