508 18 bit upgrade or just add a dac, benchmark?

Just got a Meridian 508 18 bit. I got it as an upgrade from my vernerable NAD 540. I was hoping that the Meridian would be a warmer, fuller, richer sound with more bass. Although it is a bit warmer than the NAD it is still not as full and warm as my uncle's Meridian 506 16 bit.

My system is a bit on the bright side (I think it may have more to do with the room acoustics than the components...hardwood floors). Some of my favorite punk rock sounds a little compressed without much seperation. While the Meridian is a little more relaxed than the NAD It needs to be more smooth to make long listening enjoyable. And the bass doesn't seem to be much better than the NAD...I thought Meridian were supposed to have great bass?

My system is the 508 cd player, Musical Fidelity 300A 150watt integrated amp, and Vienna Acoustics 2way Bachs speakers. The speaker wires are the audioquest CV-4 and the interconnects are the audioquest Corals.

I guess my question is, do I go for the Meridian 24 bit DAC upgrade (still $750 through Meridian) or do I go with an outboard DAC, possibly the new Benchmark or Meridian 566. Maybe I chuck the Meridian all together and get something completely different.

Any bit of input would be great...I just want to be able to listen to my music for more than an hour without being irritated.

-thanks, sean
seanbaik

Showing 2 responses by cytocycle

If you can run balanced connectors it will fatten up some and show you more definition. My friend has a 508.20 that was updated to a .24 and the update was night and day difference.

Either get a good single box, do the upgrade for that money.

Chris
There are some great deals on Gamut CD1R's sometime on agon for $1500-$1800 and the player is amazing... Just make sure it's not the original CD1... get a CD1R, CD1S or the MKII, this player will blow your mind... just make sure your preamp can handle 4volts out (similar to wadia and makes an excellent match for passive preamps because of the high gain).. versus the typical 2volts most players output.

I own a Gamut CD1R and looked at players up 16k and I am still happy with what I have.. it's so musical! Balanced Cables make it even better as it is fully balanced design.