5% THD to .000 THD SOUND

I was searching the amplifiers available and noticed quite a big difference in THD specs from model to model. Example.. One of the best amplifiers Kondo Audio Note $150k Kagura has 5% THD and by reviewers definition sounds like an amazing amplifier. Now compare $ 30k  Devialet with the lowest 0.000% THD on the planet. Both at the opposite end of design yet both sound amazing.. according to reviewers, I havn t heard either. SN/R  133 by Devialet and a lot less by Kagura. I realize an amplifiers sound can t be based by Specs alone.  If the specifications are not that important to the sound, why list them? They must be a way of determining sound, quality, and system synergy of an amplifier? A whole lot of amplifiers purchased on the net haven t been heard before and I believe the decision to purchase is made by reviewers point of view, specifications and word of mouth of other owners and buyers pocket book. By looking at specs of Devialet and NOT knowing the prices of Kagura and Devialet I would of gone with the Devialet just based on specs alone for the impression of it being a  great sounding amplifier.  Ive read other discussions on forum and cant quite get a handle on why BOTH amplifiers sound great. I thought High THD was a bad thing..
derrickengineer

Showing 9 responses by derrickengineer

Bombaywalla. you just put the whole audio review business out of business.lol.  If it wasn t for the tons of audio mags I read as a kid growing up, now 54, I might have not been interested in high performance audio.. I appreciate their point of view and take it as research about an item , not the bible on that item reviewed. Two different reviewers might have two different opinions on the same audio piece of gear. Me as well. Some information is better than no information. lol.

I know he was re my comment to geoffkait. Well me feeling I was sucked into Mr. Kaitts mumbo jumbo and $ 250  rip off prompted my reply.to geoff. 10% THD sounding better than 5% yeah that speaks volumes...lol

My post was of the Sound quality vs specifications and my ears will make the final call on a piece of gear to buy. Hard to do when buying over the net.. Hence the great opinions of Audio reviewers, owners and forums are the key to making a sound purchase decision, pun intended. Cheers and thank you all for the great info, appreciated.
geoffkait..My point is they BOTH sound great in my two examples of amplifiers having the opposite end of THD specs.. Arnet you the guy ( asstrophysisist )
selling those wacky trinkets to fool the mind into thinking the sound is better? Yeah I remember buying that stupid clock with a round magnet on it. and you banging your finger on the phone to activate the sonic realm of nothingness.. lol. If not you disregard.
Your right bombaywalla, this is a new account that replaced an older one on Agon.and have had little time to post and learn from others experience and knowledge. I dont get what you mean by investigate further,, and short list.. They were just examples that I saw today and thought Id ask about the two extreme THD specs on two great amps.My edit clock ran out..
geoffkait3,776 posts07-30-2016 4:58pm

I went out for a mild mannered troll and got a sucker on the line.

Well since you said it mr. kaits, is there a bit of quilt coming out from your magic clock thingy or by stating " got a sucker on the line" you know full well there's nothing magic about your magic clock ?