450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t

Showing 5 responses by tomtab

im betting the 450 lp amps will toast the 15 lp amps' what would you rather have running you speakers, a v12 1000 cubic inch engine with 300 hp or a 4 cylinda 90 cubic inch engine with 300 hp?? think of who would last longer
i was told many years ago in audio that if you bought by weight alone you could never go wrong.i guess im old school. my real point is im sure the new class d amps are good in their own right. i myself would rather have a 350 lp pass or 400 lp krell. 15 pounds of amp just dosent sit right wirh me driving $10,000 speakers. and i dont care how good they sound.
are the class d amps able to drive difficult loads into say 2 ohms. the big monster amps can put out power into 8,4,2 omps without breaking a sweat. thats what im concerned about. sure, a efficent speaker into 8 ohms,no problem. but what about a speaker at 86db, 4 ohms or less. is a 15 pound amp going to have the stiff power supply to get the job done. my weight alone comment was that you were probably going to get a quality piece of gear if you ended up with a heavy piece. not that the heavest piece was the best. hey,come on. some guys like brawn over finesse.
to all those the like class d amps,i say go for it. if and when they prove to be the best sounding of the bunch,then i will look at getting one. in the mean time, im keeping my pass amps and b&k and parasound and odyssey. and my $1,000 jolida tube amp seems to sound very fine also.