3D stereo sound with 4 speakers + room correction

Hi all,
I´m Johnny - a long time reader of Audiogon, hifi geek and music producer from Denmark - and I have a "different" question to all of you Audiogoner´s out there.
Have anyone tried to do a stereo system - but with 4 speakers and room correction + time alignment? Fx 4 (same) speakers to 4 monoblocks or 2 power amps from a preamp + room correction. Maybe you´ve just tried with 4 speakers and no room correction - anyways - let me hear your experiences.
I´m thinking of - sometime in the future - if funds and space allows it - to do a system like that. I would put 2 speakers as fronts and 2 speakers as side speakers. I imagine that the room correction and time alignment would make it possible to achieve a 3D stereo sound that reaches your sweetspot at the same time - but still in stereo. The sound stage would be almost all around you and massive.
Is this completely nonsense or would it make sense to do a system like this?
Ps. If I had the money - I´m thinking - Soundlab U1 speakers + 2 or 4 JL Audio f113 subwoofers and some great amplification + source. We don´t have Soundlab speakers here in Denmark so I have yet to discover the sound of them - though I have heard both the biggest Magnepans and Martin Logans - and several other high end speakers incl. MBL (the big ones) Adam (reference setup) Avantgarde (the big system). My own speaker are Audio Physic Scorpio - and I´m actually very pleased with them and I will keep them for a while.
Please let me know your thoughts on my question.
ps. and thanks for letting me dream away in the member systems pages :-)

Regards
Johnny
Denmark
js1973

Showing 3 responses by js1973

Hi Carlos and Ed.

Thanks for your responses.

@ Carlos - very interesting link to the Ambiophonics page - I will read more into it during the weekend. I see that Tact is doing a device to provide concert hall "feeling". They are also known for doing good digital room correction.

@ Ed - For the room/time correction part I would use digital room correction - like provided by Tact http://www.tactlab.com/DRC/drc.html or similar. There will be loads of those products from different companies in the future - I´m sure :-) And I also know that it´s getting more popular in music production - with good results.
I´m not sure what crosstalk cancellation means in english - sorry? My father though has a setup with 4 speakers - BUT - he kind of blew it regarding stereo perspective - since he has connected the speakers to a receiver that only lets him connect to left and right - respectively. Which means that when he´s in the middle of the room he has to face one of the speaker sets to get real stereo - and the other set in the back of his head - is kinda in the wrong phase I guess.
Well he doesnt care to much about since he´s not a sound freak - good for him ;-).
If room correction - and more important the time and phase is done correct by some digital unit - fx the the link to the page Carlos gave us - I´m sure it could be a great experience - but I´m not sure if we should have the extra pair of speakers on the side or in the back.

Johnny
Did a bit more reading on this site:
http://www.ambiophonics.org

Very interesting.
Johnny
Hi again Ed,

Now I know what you mean by cross talk cancellation.
With english not being my native language it´s sometimes a bit confusing. ;-)

Regards
Johnny