$3000 on Analog system - how to spread?

How should I spread this FIRST infusion of cash. Next one being perahaps a year out.

Ex.

Table - 50%
Arm - 15%
Cartridge - 15%
Phonostage - 20%

Or,

Phonostage - 40%
Table - 30%
Arm - 20%
Cartridge - 10%

Any sensible way to do this? What's the best upgrade path. Thanx
pawlowski6132

Showing 2 responses by steveaudio

It would help a lot if you discussed the actual equipment you're considering. This theoretical percentage excercise is just "pie in the sky" IMO.

Just my 2cents.....
Part of the problem is--all of these components--TT, cartridge, phono stage, are very important. Saying that the phono stage isn't important, is like saying that your pre-amp isn't important.

Here's what I have, FWIW, that you could probably buy for 50-60% of your $3K budget: Rega P25 w/Benz Glider that I bought used. C-J EF-1 phono stage that I bought used (I suspect that the EF-1 is the best component of the 3). Again, you could probably buy all 3 now for.......$1500 maybe?

Also, IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with owning one component that is "better" than the others. FI, the phono stage--I could see shopping for a used C-J or ARC phono stage & spending $500-$1000 depending on the model. I spent a year (!) of research & shopping to get a great deal on my phono stage.

And don't forget a record cleaner, like a VPI, for maybe $350-$425 used.

Bottom line: There's no one right way to do this. Also, buy everything used, whether you buy a used Rega P3 with a Grado cartridge, or a slightly used P5 w/cartridge. (I'm a Rega fan).

My opinionated 2 cents, good luck!

*And, I'm surprised to hear that the phono stage has relatively small impact on sound.*