$27,500 for whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

$27,500 is a nice chunk of change, even in the audiophile world.  I think we can all agree on this.  You can get a pretty kick ass system for that amount.  I think we can all agree on this, too.  I just read something at stereophile.com that almost...almost made me choke on my triscuit.   Luckily for me, I had water ready to go, knowing how dry those things are.  $27,500 is the price for a paint upgrade, a color called cranberry pearl finish on a pair of speakers made by Wilson, the Chronosonic XVX.   Now, when we hear the name Wilson, we all know what that means.   But come on man,  $27,500 for a paint upgrade. 
shtinkydog

Showing 2 responses by arion1

Again, I am NOT defending anyone here but the truth is fancy finishes are driven by consumers not the manufacturers. Builders build mini-mansions because there are people out there who want to buy then. Boutique car companies build $1M + cars because someone out there needs to own one to be different. I can name at lease five well known audio companies (I know this first hand) who have been asked by their Chinese importers to build more expensive products because they have clients that demand the best and equate best with most expensive. It's not right or wrong, it just is. Point is, don't always blame the manufacturer.

I won't comment on whether or not the price for the paint upgrade is justifiable. As a speaker manufacturer I can comment to how expensive custom and automotive finishes really are. Many of these paints are three stage systems. Price out Ford 2020 Mustang Rapid Red. For one gallon of color, base coat and clear coat plus reducers and catalysts you are looking at around $3K. That doesn't include any primers, sealers, fillers or any other prep materials. How much labor do you think it takes to produce a flawless finish? Cost of running a paint booth? EPA? Paying a highly skilled painter. Special handling? It's a lot of work.

Hey, I'm not trying to defend anyone here, just sharing what I know. We quote custom finished per request. They can be all over the place. Usually a decent quality (not too exotic) veneer is less expensive than glossy paint. Anything textured is usually the least expensive. Also, you loose economy of scale doing one custom finish at a time. 

Before we brought our speaker cabinets building in house I received a quote from a reputable (they make cabinets for several of the big names) cabinet shop for our Apollos. Our Apollos are comprised of two towers and two outboard woofer modules. To go from a standard lightly textured finish to a piano gloss or automotive finish for all the pieces they quoted $12K to $14K over the standard cost. That didn't include the actual cabinets. So, standard cabinets = $X. Cabinets finished in High Gloss Ferrari Yellow = $X + $14K. And that's our cost.

Many speaker companies sub out the finish work and usually the cabinets too. Do you think a high quality paint shop is going to give a speaker company that sell products that cost more than most homes a price break? No, but they will produce a flawless finish and charge for it.