$ 2500 ....Stay with Vandersteens ??...what else ?

Please refer my "system" to see my current set-up. Everything sounds wonderful together.....extremely musical, great soundstage depth and width, beautiful rendition of timbre and tone, natural presentation of voices and acoustics. BUT....I have the speaker "upgrade itch," wanting fuller, richer, deeper sound, and I need advice from my friends at Audiogon.

I spend around three hours a night of "serious listening," about 2/3 digital and 1/3 vinyl. Roughly 70% of my enjoyment is 1950's - 1960's jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Basie, Rollins, Brubeck, Ella, Mobley, Morgan, etc., etc.), 25% "classic rock" that I grew up with (Allman Brothers, Dead, Dylan, CSNY, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Led Zep, Yes, Hot Tuna, etc.), and the other 5% "newer jazz audiophile stuff" (Patricia Barber, Rebecca Pigeon, etc.)

Keeping the rest of my system the same (except for bi-wire speaker cables if needed), what do you guys recommend for new speakers ? Vandersteen 2CE Sig. II's seem a natural option, but what else should I consider ? I'm open to all kinds of suggestions. Thanks a lot, and Happy Listening !
adam18

Showing 3 responses by sonofjim

I would definitely stay with Vandersteen if you're already happy with them. The differences that other speakers present are only due to one form of coloration or another in my opinion. No other speaker line goes to as great a length to minimize coloration and faithfully reproduce the input signal, all for a justifiable price. I'm sure the 2s would be a nice step up but wouldn't rule out a nice used pair of 3As if you can find someone upgrading to the Quatro or 5A. With the 3A you'd get better integration with a pair of Vandersteen subs when budget allows and that combination would get you very close to what the Quatros can deliver.
You've just reached the same conclusion I most often do when considering an upgrade/change. When you sit down and listen and are still moved by your current set up why change? Anyone can spend a bunch of money and have a pretty system. A frugal hi-fi system that still delivers is a more admirable accomplishment in my opinion. That more expensive equipement will still be there when you're ready. Meanwhile, you're obviously doing something right so just enjoy.
I had no doubt that Adam18 would eventually upgrade when I made my post but as long as the system moves you why change? There's no harm in exploring your options and this is a great place to do it. I would hate to think any advise I offered caused someone to spend money on something they may not want or need. I think we should all applaud Adam18 for realizing that he's happy right now, and more informed on his options.