$2500 speaker threshold

Hello everyone,

Recently I was reading the latest edition of Robert Harley's The Complete Guide to High End Audio. In an early chapter he refers to a "significant" disparity in quality between speakers selling for just under $2500 & selling selling for just over $2500. I'd never heard of this before.

I realize that quality is supposed to improve with price, but Harley was clear in stating that the $2500 threshold marked a larger gap in quality than would be seen in other price-point differences. Unfortunately he didn't elaborate on just what made the >2500s better than the <$2500s.

Anyone know what that might be about?

andy
andykkk

Showing 1 response by lrsky

Robert and I were colleagues at the time he first published a 'Guide'...I tried to get Kathy Gornik to have this as a 'giveaway' in THIEL dealerships, as he used the THIEL's as his reference...that, and Robert's a REALLY GOOD GUY, and great listener.
I'm thinking that, and this is a maybe, time has changed 'pricing' jumping off points...IF, AND ONLY IF, this is from about '98.
I do agree emperically, that there is a 'jump off point' that occurs...though I'm not 'precisely aware' of where it happens.
For example...the LSA1 Statement (this is not a commercial)...takes any listener into the 'High End'...both texturally, and imaging wise...with a tonal balance (excluding deep bass) similar to Sound Labs A1....that's saying a lot, as they retail for about 9 times the price and are definitely MUCH better. Yet, it's the doorway to wonderful sound that we can all live with.
Bobby's, (my friend and colleague) Merlins, do the same thing. He's always offered textures 'out the wazooo' for prices that are based on real value, 'Good old American Sweat', and not what the market will bear.
So, while there's a 'jump off', I don't know what it is--but I agree in theory.

Love all audiophiles...