15A vs. 20A power cord questions

I'm installing dedicated 20A lines with 10AWG cable and Furutech GTX-D 20A wall receptacles. I am currently using the standard IEC power cords that came with my Rogue Cronus Magnum and VPI Scout 1.1. 

I rather not upgrade the power cables at this time. I would like to see the effect the dedicated lines and outlets have first. Are there any issues with running 15A power cords into a 20A outlet and line? Would a 20A power cord possibly sound better or is it just a matter of the blade orientation?
asp307

Showing 6 responses by zephyr24069

Yes...many of us use configurations where the dedicated circuit is 20 amp and there is a mix of 20 and 15 amp power cords and components in use.  If you wind up in a situation where you have either a 15 amp or 20 amp cord you need to use and the component takes the opposite, check out Shunyata's high-end C20C15 or C15C20 converter plugs; they weigh about pound a piece and are a bit pricey ($130-$150 depending upon source) but they are incredibly good, over-built, don't seem to introduce any negative sonics at all, and definitely can belong to any mid to high-end system when need be. 
Absolutely true,..by the same token though, all manufacturers of power cords sold to audiophiles have one version of that power cord and then offer 15amp or 20amp plugs as an option. They don't wire the cord any differently for 15 versus 20 amp applications; they all seem to 'overbuild' a bit for 20amp as a likely outcome.  As pointed out above, there is no difference in the connectors themselves in terms of current handling; my comments above were assuming that people know not to plug a 20amp component into a 15-amp circuit if that component truly draws well above 15 amps 'steady state'; that is how fires start, not due to the connector itself from what a couple of electricians have told me. All that assuming of course that the breaker in the box is faulty and does not trip in the first place...

If I've got any of this wrong, please let me know. I'm working off what a couple of electricians and high-end cable experts have mentioned over the years.
I had a Bybee Stealth v3 power conditioner that utilized a combination of those GTX-D Rhodium and Gold duplexes; they took 350-500 hours to reach their initial best sound. Your patience will be well rewarded.  As an aside, I have had very good results with Environmental Potentials Ground Filter units on my dedicated circuit....
asp307: What I meant was their first point at which I considered them and the sound profile of the system with them, fully broken in. I heard another increase in sound quality somewhere in the 1000-1500 hour range; after that, no other increases in quality/etc...were heard.  500 hours with a duplex receptacle is easier to put on than some would think. It does not take 6-8 months as mentioned above "assuming" you connect constant current drain devices (amps, house fans, etc..) to them and leave them powered on 24x7.
I did not find the GTX-D Rhodium or Gold outlets to be loose on any blade; I did not find them to have the heavy locking behavior of my old Oyaide R1s either.  The GTX-Ds were easy to work with when it came to stock power cords and the blades could be inserted or removed with nominal effort. They were not loose per se....with my after-market (Elrod) power cords which all use very large Oyaide M1F1 or Furutech FI48 or FI50 ends, the grip was extremely firm but still not locking in nature. Hope this helps...I think you will really come to love these outlets once they get a full dose of burn-in...
asp307...you are very welcome; hope all is going well and continuing to sound even better for you!!!