15 amps or 20 amps outlet

I'm in the process of installing a dedicated line plus Acme outlet in my house and was wondering if there's any benefits in choosing a 20 amps outlet over a 15 amps one. I have a Big 350 watts amplifier. Also, any advise on a good, not too expensive wire is appreciated . Thanks in advance.
128x128audiogabby

Showing 1 response by 3728slingshot

Forgive me if you are aware of the diatribe I am about to deliver, hopefully someone will avoid a dangerous mistake by reading this.

Unless the amp is fused and corded for more than 15A of draw there is no benefit in switching to the NEMA 5-20 configuration. IF, however, you are looking to run a large system from just one wall outlet and then run splits to your components this type of outlet will allow you to safely draw an additional 5A. BIG important thing to remember - if you have a 20A breaker and plug, you must be sure that the wire in between is rated for the capicity (NEMA publishes length:gauge ratios for loads). Also remember that just replacing the plug on a power cord with a 5-20 end does not make the cord 20A rated - EVERY PART of the power path needs to be rated for the amount of juice that the breaker will deliver (20A)!!!! The breaker is there to protect components from being delivered more juice than rated for - so a 15A cord pluged into a 20A socket is UNDER protected by the breaker.