13yr old speaker upgrade

Okay I have a pair of dm604 s3 towers. My first big boy speakers. Incredibly happy with them. But I don't know any better cause I haven't owned anything else. I have the smaller of the two center channel speakers of that B&W series. I have moved into a bigger home. And now have them in 21'x17' room that opens up into a kitchen. I have in cieling surrounds that do the job. And a JLf112 subwoofer. I'm using a onkyo 818 av reciever. Now one of my towers have failed. (Suspected crossover). I want to purchase three similar front stage speakers. Three similar towers. I kinda want to keep my budget around $3000. I am also open to maybe going cheaper on the towers and purchasing an Emotiva amplifier to really drive the speakers to pick them up in performance. Any suggestions??
cisko213

Showing 5 responses by cisko213

Thanks Telescope. I will give them a gander on Saturday. Also I'm assuming with the shape of the tweeter it is not the same as the tweeter from the PM series.
Well I got a wild hair to switch my speakers to full range to see if I could get more powerful bass across the room. And honestly when I did this I didn't even notice the speaker was not working until I removed the grill and noticed the two lower end bass drivers not moving. I then confirmed this by switching places with the other tower and getting same results on the right channel. But with the grill on you can not tell the bass drivers are not active because I assume the JL F112 absorb the low end sound so good. Bit the tweeter and midrange worked. So my electronics buddy came over with a meter and checked the resistance across the terminals. Everything read good. But it showed an open circuit. So we proceded to dissect the speaker and checked both bass drivers and they showed good resistance on the meter. We confirmed this by connecting the speaker cables to the speaker at low volume. They both worked. My buddy then proceeded to remove the crossover internally located in the speaker. And we mocked up the connections again. And it would not pass thru to the LF speakers. My friend was very impressed with the speaker that it could be taken apart and rebuilt. And the fact that it is built with MDF. I ordered the crossover from a B&W dealer. $150.00. I have decided to keep these speakers and only replace my center with maybe a 683 or 684 tower for the center. I can't justify the cost of the CM's in that I would rather save up and invest in the D805's. but then reality is I have a 5 and 7 year old around the house. And I can already see them knocking one over running around. So maybe I will invest in a Rotel 1565. But then again I have no distortion in my sound. And I crank it when I want to enjoy a movie. The only thing I think may have happened. Was I lost the bi-wire links years ago. And when I was watching hunger games at te Onkyo THX reference level 82.0. The scene when she explodes the pile of supplies. The reciever shuts down. At low volumes it stays on. So maybe my make shift connector shorted the reciever out and fried the crossover.
I wish I could find a dm604 S3. And guys I had a failure with my math. I don't know why I stated 13yo speaker. They were made in 2005. Sorry for the mistake.
Remember i actually want to buy three similar speakers. I don't really like the look of the CM10. I actually do think they forgot to add a tweeter in the box and made a quick fix and just added that nub of a tweeter on top. I've actually looked at Ken Kriesel speakers. I can't justify the cost for the difference of sound for the 600 series and the CM series. I would rather save up and buy serious upgraded speakers for the front stage. For the future, I'm gonna start researching mixing studios and mastering studios here in Los Angeles. I want something professionals use not just speakers sold in a store.
Fixed my woofers. Upgraded just my center channel. Had my video and audio system calibrated. I'm back in business