120 or 240 AC current, Which one do you like best?

All of my gear (Linn) can be operated at either 120 or 240
volts. Would like to know which one is better in terms of
noise, voltage drop, stability, etc. I once heard a main frame computer instaler say that noise from a 240 V. outlet was lower due to cancellation from the two hot lines. I have asked several other people on this matter but have gotten all kind of stories.I am in the process of installing dedicated lines, 10 AWG wires with isolated ground. Any help or technical information will be very much apreciated. Thanks.
hepl

Showing 1 response by shasta

If you switch over to 240VAC, you'll be in for a complete new set of PC's, since it's a different plug configuration. Also a different receptacle configuration. This is the deal breaker...

You will also eliminate the Neutral leg, thus dropping Common Mode noise problems. It will do nothing for Differential Mode noise potential.

You will reduce voltage drop concerns by half, but you've already addressed this with your new runs.

I don't see a scrap of upside to this. It's been already thought about and addressed by the balanced power devices that output + and - 60VAC. It's also been addressed by a separate Article in the National Electrical Code.

I'd look into products by Equi=Tech or Balanced Power Technology, etc. Those that are 3rd party listed by UL, CSA, etc would influence me even more.

I have no vested or uninvested interest in anything...