$1000 bookshelf speakers with "recessed", "laid back" or "flat" mid-range?

Dear all,
As stated above, I am looking for a bookshelf speaker with a mid-range that is laid back, recessed or flat. I currently own a pair of Elac Uni-Fi UB5, and I find their presentation quite forward in the mid-range, which I don't appreciate, especially at moderate to high volumes. I also own a pair or Pioneer SP-BS22, which I find more pleasing sounding (particularly the more recessed mid-range) than the Elac.
Since I can't audition speakers where I live, I am asking for your recommendations on bookshelf speakers that have a more "recessed" or "flatter" presentation in the mid-range. I have a budget of $1000. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
128x128luciano33

Showing 2 responses by celestial__sound

Absolutely, they are not hard to drive speakers. They rate very honestly their nominal impedance at 6 ohm (unlike many other manufacturers) but they never drop below 4.  The sensitivity is also above average, 88db for the bookshelfs and 91db for the floorstanders. I drive them on my hybrid Pathos Classic One MKIII which is rated at 70wpc without any problems.  Your Yamaha if I remember correctly is even more powerful rated at 100wpc . 
@luciano33 You may want to look at the Q Acoustics line of speakers. They are known for their laid back character but yet very expressive and dynamic. My previous speakers were Klipsch RP600M and I had the same issues as you. For example, I couldn’t crank the volume up on Tool - Parabola on my favorite part because It was always a headache to listen on a loud level, although my room is medium to large (38square meters). I replaced the Klipsches for Q Acoustics 3050i and now I can listen to any song at any level of loudness. There are many reviews on the internet speaking of Q Acoustics 3000i series, but I’ll highlight you few things. They have a very good low extension, have very warm full-bodied midrange and very sweet silk dome tweeter. If you can stretch your budget for the concept series you’ll be even more pleased. They compete with a speakers 10 times more expensive. This is a quote from John Atkison from Stereophile about the Q Acoustics Concept 300 (3999$) .

https://www.stereophile.com/content/q-acoustics-concept-300-loudspeaker-page-2
This is not surprising, as these speakers stepped out of the way of the music in a manner I have only experienced from more expensive models, such as Wilson’s Alexia 2, Magico’s S5 Mk.II, and KEF’s Blade Two, to name three speakers that I have reviewed in the past few years