Sony HAP-Z1ES Hi-Res Music Player RMAF 2013

Did anyone get a chance to hear this digital player. Seems similar to the Bryston BDP-2. I am very interested in how the upsampled DSD sounded.
yyzsantabarbara
I see now that the hard drive replacement question I raised above does appear to be answered in the "Quick Reference Guide" that's posted on Sony's website, which states: "Do not replace or add hard disk drives on the unit." So much for user serviceability.

But fear not! Additional language on page 7 of the Guide infers -- albeit with incredibly roundabout language -- that hard drive repair and replacement can be handled through Sony. On the other hand, however, absolutely no information is provided as to who one would contact to make any such arrangement. In fact, warranty information about the HAP-Z1ES of any kind whatsoever seems to be totally 'missing in action' from the product's page on Sony's website.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find such omissions as these a little troubling particularly given this humdinger that also appears in the Quick Reference Guide: "Due to the nature of the hard disk drive, we do not recommend you store data on the hard disk drive for a long period." How's that for a disclaimer! Kind of reminds me of the drug ads on TV that tell you if you take this drug your arms are gonna fall off and then you'll go blind.
01-26-14: Mr_bill wrote

Kal,
You should review the Sony Hap Z1ES.

I am doing so.
Kr4, in an earlier post you wrote "it's not a dac or a renderer." The DAC part of that statement confuses me a bit. When starting with digital source material (in this case, computer files no less) I thought there always had to be a DAC somewhere in the equation for sound to emerge from a loudspeaker at the other end. Is that not true?

My confusion also comes from statements on Music Direct's website that read "The Sony HAP-Z1ES is a true professional reference DAC" and "This digital to analog converter effectively reduces ..." and "This ideal D/A conversion system combines ..." Are these marketing statements inaccurate?

If you have the opportunity in your review, I am hoping you can clear up this confusion because as it is the answer to the question of whether the HAP-Z1ES does or does not contain a DAC is about as clear as mud.
GZ3827, I think he means that the unit has an internal DAC of course, but no DAC function for external sources, like a cd player or for streaming music sources like Rhapsody or Pandora from a computer or a squeezebox.
Mitch4t is correct. You cannot use it "just" as a DAC although it contains one.
It's easy, just go to the Sony website and see photos of the rear of the unit yourself. No inputs.

There is no mention of it being able to function as a DAC for an external transport or other sources.
Duh, it seems I was having another one of my brain farts. Thanks Mitch/Kal for the clarification.
What is bizarre is the the Sony HAP S1 at $1000 (as opposed to the Z1ES at $2000) has a whole range of inputs: coax, optical, line, ethernet and includes a 40 W amp section or can be used as a DAC with a Line Out. The only benefit of the Z1 is a 1TB HD vs 500GB in the S1 and balanced outputs. Furthermore the codecs seem identical in both. Why would anyone purchase the Z1 at twice the price??
As near as I can tell from the published specs, the feature that looks to be the most responsible for the price difference is Sony's proprietary "DSD remastering engine" (i.e., DAC) which the Z1 has and the S1 does not. Presumably this means that were one to play the same non-DSD file through both devices the sound quality would be noticeably better through the Z1 than through the S1 assuming otherwise identical systems. At least that's my take on it.
To put it another way, even though the Z1 can't be used as a standalone DAC, the DAC that's in the Z1 is presumably a much better DAC than the DAC that's in the S1.
Having just read a review of the Z1 at whathifi.com I am confused once again. Being otherwise a fountain of little useful information, I did learn from this review that the Z1's DSD remastering engine can be turned on and off (a surprise to me) which suggests that my previous characterization essentially equating the DSD remastering engine with the Z1's DAC is misleading. So now I am wondering if the S1 and Z1 might, in fact, have the same DAC even though it is apparently only the Z1 that has the so-called DSD remastering engine. Thoughts anyone?
The S1 and the Z1 are for different people. The S1 has a built in power amp and more features but does not have the ES tweakiness (therefore better sound via line out). The Z1 is for those audiophiles that have a serious system and already have a great amp and or preamp/amp combo. The build quality of the Z1 is much better. Two serious transformers....dual mono 32 bit DACs, better output stages, better and more regulators, parts, etc. (all just for the DAC....not sharing power with an amp). You can see pics of the inside on the internet.

Imagine a company selling a $1000 integrated amp and then also has a $2000 preamp and a $2000 power amp.....You would hope the $4000 separates would sound better. This is what Sony is offering. They have a $2000 integrated amp that is the companion to the Z1.

Since there is room in the Z1 for mods then a modded Z1 could be really seriously great. Again, a different price point and different users.
I think the DSD remastering engine is just an upsampler that upsamples any signal coming in up to DSD rates, if it's turned on.

I read the whathifi review and like everything else I've read about these products there's not much detail. I haven't seen any comparisons between the 2 dacs anywhere.

TAS is going to have an article on it in the March issue and Kal is doing a review for Stereophile, which will probably take a little while longer to get into print.

I think we'll just have to wait a few more months to find out if this is the long awaited low cost, high sound quality, easy to use music server we've been waiting for for many years now.
The fact that the Z1 can't access a NAS over the network but requires the Music Transfer software to keep you music files sync'ed onto its hard drive is a deal killer for me. I don't want to have music files scattered all over my network, that's why I bought a NAS with RAID and backup. In this way, the Marantz is a better solution for me.
Just wanted to share my thoughts on my newest acquisition: the Sony HAP-Z1ES music server. As many of you have said the remastering engine is why you pay 1k more than its little brother the HAP-S1/B which doesn't have the remastering option (or the larger hard drive). The build quality is at a much high level as well. I recently had all my SACDs ripped many of which I also have ripped at 16bit, 44.1 kHz and on vinyl. So I was able to compare the DSD version against the 44.1 kHz DSD remastered and the analog version. First, let me say........ vinyl is still king. Nothing beats a mechanical, analog playback system. Digital just don't sound as natural. But (and its a BIG but) the Sony HAP-Z1ES shows digital reproduction is getting very, very good! It isn't the DSD signals I am most impressed with but the DSD remastered signals!! At times I prefer the remastered version to the DSD version and other times I do not. The point is your 16 bit, 44.1 kHz ripped CDs have a new lease on life! Sony went "all-in" with this technology and it has paid-off.
Sbayne, congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing your impressions thus far. Can you be any more specific about the differences in sound quality that you are perceiving with 16bit, 44.1 kHz files when DMS remastering is turned on versus off?

Also, what do you think of Sony's software? I am particularly interested in the initial process for transferring files from one's computer to the Sony and whether the user has any control over how the Sony organizes the transferred files for search purposes. For example, if I wanted to select classical tracks for playback based on composer name rather than album name would I be able to do that?
While it is in another league price-wise, it is my opinion that anyone considering the Sony machine needs to seriously look at the Lumin.
The soundstage is more relaxed and much larger with the DSD remastering engaged. There is a more natural decay to the notes and the leading edge of the note is properly rendered. If you have ever compared a good quality, properly set-up analog system to most digital sources you know exactly what I'm trying to say. As to Sony' software, all I can say its very simple and effective. It took a long time to load all my music (direct LAN cable is recommended) but once loaded it was properly organized by genre, artist, album, and track. Gracenote is the online database used and its generally accurate. You can also create playlists so you can organize them manually by composer if you wish but I don't see any direct user control over how music is searched or cataloged.
Interesting product. A lot of questions about functionality, and it seems very good in that regard. However, what about sound quality? Is it just another sub 2 grand DAC of which there are many on the market or is it something special?
Kclone, my thoughts exactly. I'm going to wait for reviews, but the main thing for me will be if Dan Wright offers a mod on this unit. That in my estimation would make this a no brainer, but it could cut into sales on his new DAC, so he may pass on this one. I'll be following this closely, but I won't be an early buyer.
Hi Sbayne,

You said:
"At times I prefer the remastered version to the DSD version and other times I do not."

Are these DSD versions pure DSD recording, re-mastered or re-mixed(???)?

May be this will tell why.

Thank you!
If you want professional reviews The Absolute Sound and What-Hi Fi? have already published some. The output stage is almost the same as the XA-5400ES so there will be plenty of tweakers out there I'm sure.
I'm not as expert on these issues as you guys. So I have a simple, bottom-line question for Sbayne:

If a typical audiophile A/Bs a typical contemporary classical music CD on (a) an Olive and (b) the HAP-Z1ES with DSD remastering, will the HAP-Z1ES sound significantly better?

Will the remastered version almost as good as Hi-Res?

Mike
I'm not as expert on these issues as you guys. So I have a simple, bottom-line question for Sbayne:

If a typical audiophile A/Bs a typical contemporary classical music CD on (a) an Olive and (b) the HAP-Z1ES with DSD remastering, will the HAP-Z1ES sound significantly better?

Mike

Mike
Can you give me a description of the improvement in sound quality in playing redbook CDs converted to DSD on your HPA-Z1ES vs. other players without conversion.

Mike
Just read the Absolute Sound review when the new issue arrived the other day. They finished the review stating that "If you plan to spend more than $2000.00 on any digital front end, whether it be an audio computer, CD player, DAC, network player, or any other front end that uses digital files as a source, and you don't audition a HAP-Z1ES, you are failing to consider what may well be "the" benchmark digital product of 2014".

I'm seriously considering purchasing this unit, but am trying to overcome concerns about it having no digital output, eliminating the ability to use it with a newer DAC years down the line. However, there simply isn't anything else out there close to this is price, or value.

It has also been commented on that Sony may actually be either losing money, or, at least greatly minimizing normal mark ups on these units to first, get the DSD technology selling, and secondly, by planning on this working out the same as their PS3 and 4 strategy, where they essentially give the hardware away, but make massive profits on games/software, for years afterwards. Since they will be making available virtually their entire music catalog in DSD, this may well do that for them.
Can you give me a description of the improvement in sound quality in playing redbook CDs converted to DSD on your HPA-Z1ES vs. other players without conversion.

Mike
Mistratil - the Remastering Engine in no way hurt the sound of ripped redbook CD playback. In almost all cases it made the soundstage wider and more natural sounding. Yes, it does make all sources sound much like its DSD recording. If you don't like the Remastering Engine then turn it off. Will you like it in your system? I don't know - "sound quality" is very subjective. There are many people who think digital surpassed analog playback years ago. I'm not in that camp. If you want some type of bottom line regarding "sound quality" and whether you should buy the HAP-Z1ES here it is: If you don't have an analog system then don't buy the HAP-Z1ES, put the $2K in something like a Pro-Ject RM-9.2 with Sumiko EVO III: sit-back, relax and realize its blowing the HAP-Z1ES out of the water when it comes to "sound quality."
Sbayne, That's funny. The days of a modest turntable "blowing digital out of the water" are now past. You may prefer the turntable, and you have every right to your preference, but that's just a bias on your part. That's just my humble opinion.
Tomcy6 - I didn't mean to turn this thread into a digital v. analog debate (been there done that) but I respect your opinion and can agree digital now a days is very good. Now back to the HAP-Z1ES..........
Sbayne,

If you didn't mean to start a debate why did you come to the Digital forum to a thread that has nothing to do with turntables or digital vs vinyl and give your opinion that a $2,000 turntable setup will "blow the the HAP-Z1ES out of the water when it comes to "sound quality." Then you accuse me of trying to start a debate.

The arrogance of SOME of you turntable people is quite amusing.
Tomcy6 - If I'm so arrogant please explain what turntables have you owned. Lets start there if you want.
If the HAP does not challenge your vinyl, you might try reclocking the S/PDIF output of the HAP with a Synchro-Mesh reclocker ($599). It is likely the jitter of the output that is the problem:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/synchro-mesh

Powered by the Dynamo linear supply and using the optional BNC-BNC coax cable it provides a truly world-class digital signal. Many customers use it with Sonos, Squeezebox, computers, Wadia docking stations, Apple TV and many servers. 30-day money-back , less shipping.

reviews:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/news-and-reviews/synchro-mesh

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve - No digital output, but fortunately it sounds very good as is and since its an all-in-one solution its very convenient. Not up to the standards of your equipment but in the past I've used a linear power supply with a Squeezebox Touch/Monarchy Audio DIP/Metrum Octave DAC with good results.
Sbayne,

We don't want to start a debate, remember? Please just keep your arrogant dismissal of digital sound quality out of these threads. You're just making yourself sound like a blowhard. The time when vinyl blew digital out of the water is past and discussion of the sound quality of digital gear is entirely legitimate and needs no qualifiers regarding turntable sound.

You can post all you want about the glories of turntables on the Analog forum.
Why does Steve get to run free ads (his posts) for his products in these discussion posts all the time?
Mr Bill - because I have helped a LOT of people find solutions and audio nirvana. Just read all of the threads. My products are top-tier and they don't cost an arm and a leg because I don't advertise, I don't sell through dealers and I don't have a marketing staff. I'm just one passionate audiophile.

I even recommend other companies products. Find another manufacturer that does that. Good luck.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve,
You do have your point there but maybe Mr Bill is just concerned that if you get to do what you are doing, what would happen to this forum if a lot of other dealers or manufacturers start doing the same thing?
For me, I do learn a lot from your informative posts and technical knowledge. I just hope others don't start doing the same thing without much technical knowledge but just plain marketing.
What do the others think?
Vendor participation in forums strikes me as a topic for discussion in a different thread. Why not start one?
I do appreciate Steve's help and knowledge displayed in his post and the threads, that is a service and we should be thankful, but the continuing promotion of his products in the posts is not appropriate I feel. People get all up in arms when other dealers or manufacturers start promoting in other forums. Fair?

Just to separate this, I do have very high regard for Steve and his business and the advice he offers the audiogoners. He builds business this way for his company and his reputation which is and great.

I'm out,
I took a chance and opened my unit, removed the hard drive from it's cage and cloned it to an ssd.

Glad to report that the operation was a total success!

With regard to classification, I simply put the composer's name in the "Artist" section and the performers name in the "Album Artist" section
To Willieddog, great to hear that!

What hardware/software utilities used to clone the hard disc?

How do you put the composer's name in the "Artist" section and the performers name in the "Album Artist" section?

Tks
Williedog, how do you like the SQ and DSD remastering of the Z1ES, please?
Are the outputs variable and controlled from the front knob so one can attach a power amp directly to the Sony?
Thanks,
Ivo