PC audio is it the best next thing????

I've been hearing alot about pc audio and many claim that in the future pc audio will be considered the next best thing in the audiophile world, curious about all of this. Any thoughts?
chgolatin2
I wonder how long it will take before this thread looks silly? I'm betting three years tops before everyone has tossed their cdps this thread will look like a dinasaur
What is a list of D/A converters with USB inputs?The drawback I find with my computer supplanting DAC is ocassionaly I want to use my computers drive(s)while litening but also becuase fan noise is so bloody loud.I too think somebody who has done a lot of expermentation should make a web page as an idots guide to music and video using computers
Chazz
Chazz,

That's why you get/build a silent computer. My little Shuttle computer is totally silent.

There are a lot of companies making USB DACS. Entry level would be something like the Firestone Audio Fubar ($119). The Scott Nixon USB TubeDac ($600) is highly rated. Also, the PS Audio($1000) and Benchmark Dac1($1200) get good reviews. On the high end look at Wavelength Audio ($1750-$15000).
I'm using a Wavelength Brick Silver and a MacBook laptop as a transport. An external HD rounds out the "system". BTW, the MacBook is silent, but the HD has some noise which I have been able to muffle.

I sold my Wadia 861 for the DAC and MacBook. I not only gained the convenience of being able to instantaneously select from 1,000's of tunes, I now have a multifunction device (laptop) that functions outside the audio room, and I didn’t downgrade sonically. An overall win, win. Now, if I ever want to upgrade, I only need to change out the DAC, which was a heck of lot less expensive than the Wadia it replaced.

BTW, if you're seeking more information re PC Audio, try the Computer Audio Asylum http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/bbs.html
and the HeadFi Forum: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=0ab121c720ce2e1e3e27400baf539bb4&f=59
My PC system:

Mac Mini
PS Audio Digital Link III upsampleing to 96KH
My Book 500 GIG Hard Drive
Files Ripped to Apple Lossless
Total Cost ($1,800)

totally destroyed a Shanling T100 ($2,500) in an A/B listening test. I have 2000 CD's at my finger tips, and internet radio! PC audio is the future.....