Source or speaker

I am reconfirming over and over again something that I discovered awhile back. Get the source right and everything else will follow. I have a system that often outshines what I hear in showrooms, but occasionally I hear something good in one of the shops too and it's because analog is the source.
My speakers can do it all but only when the signal is there.
What has been your experience?
What would you recommend to newbies?
pedrillo
Well, a great source can't fix a limited speaker, but in my budget I've spent way more on sources than on speakers.

My TT cost about the same as my speakers and my digital front end cost three times as much. (You apparently haven't heard good digital yet, as it can compete). Also, I spent as much on cables and ICs as I spent on the speakers.

If someone had $5000 to spend, I'd probably say 20% on speakers, 20% on an integrated amp that works with those speakers, 20% on CDP or digital interface, 20% on TT rig and 20% on cables/ICs. Getting below $5000 I'd eliminate one of the sources and scrimp on IC/cords and add or improve those over time.

I spent about 45% on sources, 33% on the integrated amp, 12% on the speakers and 10% on ICs/cords. However, if I get a bigger room, I could raise the speaker investment to around 40-50% and not need to upgrade any of my other pieces.

Dave
Post removed 
From my experience, admittedly limited to the less than uber expensive realm, you can't polish a dull recording into gleaming beauty by any means. Your ultimate potential is also limited by the weakest link in your audio hardware chain. A speaker system that interfaces well with your listening area is the place to start. Perhaps the lack of that is what makes most equipment demos sound crummy in audio shops and shows. Unlike Bob, I have found significant (to me) differences in solid state gear and digital playback. Certainly not differences of the magnitude you get with speakers though. I do think that room acoustics are the most overlooked aspect. A mid level system in a room with great acoustics is much more satisfying to me than a finely resolving hi end system in a room with poor acoustics.
Perhaps "when the signal is there," it's the recording, not the playback medium. I find recording quality is far more important than LP or CD.

And speaking of a distortion perspective, consider the contributions of the stylus, cartridge, platter and drive mechanism of a TT. Takes a lot more effort to get it right.
Let me pile on with Photon46 and disagree with Bob's contention that there's little difference among solid state pieces and among digital pieces. The difference are actually very large.

However, at the lower end of the price range, Bob assertion has more validity.

Dave