DAC = thin sound

Hi guys. recently jumped to computer audio wagon. I have searched and read the web but I can't find any solution.

System:

DYNAUDIO 52SE -- speaker

EXPOSURE 2010S -- int. Amp

PS AUDIO DLIII -- DAC (not yet broke-in, less than 10hrs of use)

tried my macbook thru USB and Apple tv thru toslink

I might be imagining how thinly it sounds now, but also I would add that it adds tremendous information on my simple system now. Is it, because I hear a lot on higher frequency now compared before? or the fact it's upconverting my files?

any input/suggestion is welcome

Thanks

Jason
jastorg1

IIRC the USB input on the DLIII is limited to 16/44.1

i think 'bright' is the closest term I can say on my system. Also the midrange is really thin sounding to me.. I wish I could have gotten the oppo uni. player :( but all the CD's are stored in my library now..

oh well
Jast - you can fix this by adding a good USB converter and drive S/PDIF with a good 1.5m cable to the DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
audiophilleo, stello, anedio and maybe the offramp are all options for better USB-SPDIF converters, depending upon budget. I am still saving, don't know if I will get new speakers or keep dumping $$$ into the front end. At this point my front end is more expensive that my speakers are!

thanks everyone. I decided to add a transport (universal player). I really dont like the sound coming from a USB and the apple tv connected by a toslink. So we'll see if the SQ is due to the DAC itself. :(

I would love to get the USB to S/PDIF but I'm on limited budget right now (I'm also upgrading my MACbook-- so I don't want to do this right now)

Jason
The headphone fans hook up DACs to small tube amps. Some of these amps can drive speaker systems. A fun way to play with tubes - and not crazy expensive.