Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Remember I had the 077 preamp and 911 mk3 stereo on loan for 2 months from Burmester and it was the best reproduced music I had ever heard. Not just from my own system, but ever.

I actually acquired a pair of 911 mk3 monoblocks. I am literally oozing from every audiophile orifice I have (sorry for the image) with excitement. My room is SO close to done. Of course my side wall vertical diffusion treatments are back ordered and not due for 2-3 weeks. But all other treatments will be in by the end of next week.

Stay tuned.
Oh. I met with Sunil of Care Audio today and secured an Allnic DAC demo when I'm ready. For any interested in Allnic, 3M, or Vicoustics gear should give him a call. He's good Audiophilio.

The report from the Allnic importer is that the DAC tested by Stereophile had 3 bad tubes and the distributor was never notified. I'll let my ears decide.
I agree that the ultimate test is in the listening, and nothing else really matters. However it is interesting to note that all of the claims regarding the cause of the Allnic DAC's poor measurements refer to its fragile vintage tubes that were apparently damaged in shipping. However some of the worst and most disturbing measurements were in the digital section of the DAC, not the analog stage. Best of luck with your room acoustics, and we look forward to your further findings in due time. Good listening!
I am very familiar with allnic and the D5000.

To be clear. In order to test the digital realm the signal passed through the dht tubes. I had mine sent off to So Ca for independent testing. It too tested poorly but sounded excellent. Even the engineer commented to this effect. There is something inherent to the DHT tubes that create poor results. My unit test results were symmetric and poor. I do have an extra set of tubes. I do not have the testing equipment and my ears do not hear a difference between channels or an overall improvement between them.

Interestingly Waversa tests are perfect. I have no explanation.

The DHT dac is an excellent dac. I give it higher marks than the engineer who felt the Resonnance invicta mirus is currently top dac. Best measurements and best sounding. I have no experience to say either way. It sells for only 5k.

Sunil - he is wonderful on all fronts. I would not hesitate doing business with him. He also has a demo program which I highly recommend. Never purchase on reviews alone. I did for the EMM dac and was a financial mistake.

Anyone interested in Allnic gear and wants an unbiased perspective pm me.

I have a to b tested allnic to the odse. Both have unique qualities. I did sell my odse for the diamond SX with ethernet input. I currently have a dac with both ethernet and usb input. Ethernet is a magnitude better, eliminating the server.

Check out my allnic review for those interested. Call Sunil and demo before purchasing. Demo both the odse and decide for yourself. Empirical also has a demo program. Your system, your ears, your money. They all are great people to deal with.

Cheers!