The future of preamps

I still use one, but I wonder if their days are numbered. To those who have removed the preamp from their system, have there been any regrets? Anyone gone back to using a preamp after having removed it?
psag
Marqmike,
Well said,
Some will prefer active and others will choose a passive. The fact that there's a very viable market for both is all the proof we need. You're right, variety is good and there are many fine components to select from.
Charles, .
Audiolabyrinth, despite what you quoted in the manual, that idea that somehow tube preamps have DC at their output is a myth! Most tube preamps have a coupling capacitor at their output and so cannot produce DC.

I suspect that is something concocted to sell solid state preamps.

Any tube preamp manufacturer has to contend with the fact that their preamp is going to get used with a solid state amp at some point. There are many threads on this forum to that effect. Many transistor amps have direct-coupled inputs, so any designer knows that if you have DC there it will cause problems for the amp and possibly the speaker too. But fortunately its not something that is a particular concern, as coupling capacitors are very effective and will prevent DC from being a problem at the output of the preamp.

The only thing you have to be careful about (which is true of solid state preamps as well!), is to turn the preamp on first and wait for it to stabilize before turning on the amp.

Charles1dad,

It is interesting to note that personal experience does not always go in tandem with common sense and logic which would define that the shortest simplest path should be the best.

Audio design is indeed as much an art as it is a hard science.
@ Atmasphere, Thankyou, I am glad you told me that a tube pre-amp needs a coupling capacitor at the out-put to protect against DC, that was helpful info, cheers.
Audiolabyrinth, I think I need to clarify that. I think there are maybe 3-4 tube preamps with direct-coupled outputs (Berning made a hybrid called the TF-10 years ago, there was the Messenger and we make two of them. Pretty sure Krell was not talking about us... I think we would have heard about that.

Anyway, the rest of the tube preamps made have either an output coupling cap or they have an output transformer. Either way they won't be making any DC! That is actually a greater danger with a solid state preamp, although most of those have output coupling caps too.