vmps, art d/io, & boldercables.com

as many know, i am fond of vmps, & the art di/o dac. well, the vmps rm-40 has won a "best in show" award at the recent ces. and, here's a quote from vmps' brian cheney to wayne, of boldercables.com, who supplied brian w/a modded di/o. wayne charges $200 for these mods to the ~$130 di/o, & having done most all the mods to *my* di/o, i can easily say it's a most fair price! ;~) anyway, here's what brian had to say to wayne:

"...We used the DIO as our digital source throughtout the Show, since we thought the Sig 9 Muse player loaned to us did not sound as good. My transport was my own 10 year old Krell MD 10."

just thought y'all might want to know... :>)

doug s.

sedond
Doug,

I just received my ART DI/O back from being modified by Wayne of Bolder Cable Co., and will be trying it in my system shortly. After seeing the list of mods he performs for that $200 price I have to agree that it's a very sweet deal indeed. I'll be putting mine up against a ModWright P-3A with level 1 mods. However, I have some other issues to nail down in my system before I can make a fair comparison.

I thought that the DI/0 held its own against the P-3A before the mods when driven by the Perpetual Tech P-1A (upsampled to 24/96) and using the Monolithic P3 power supply. So this comparison should be interesting. As you know, the DI/O does not perform upsampling on its own (the P-3A upsamples). I understand that Bolder Cable Co. will also be offering a heavy-duty power supply for the DI/O at a very reasonable price.
ART DI/O even in its stock status is still the Gem of the Audio Gem. I use one with a 2.5A power supply, unmodified in my system with a satisfaction - a rare condition for anyone who's been blessed with the disease...
Hi Doug,
I can no longer resist all of the publicity that the Art Dio has received and just ordered one today. I think I have an upgraded power supply somewhere in my attic that I can use or can order one from Radio Shack. Beyond the power supply upgrade, what else do you suggest be done and what are the sonic benefits of what you would suggest? I know Bolder has special cables for the DIO, but the Belden based cables I have tried (not Bolders) I did not like, so I bought adaptors and voltage reducers so I can use my Harmonic Tech cables for now. I hope this thing sounds good.