What is the best compressed iTunes format?

First, let me state that I fully understand that an uncompressed format is far superior to a compressed on such as MP3. My current iPod is a 4GB unit, but I just had the battery replaced on my wife's old 30GB unit and plan to transfer my music that direction.

I generally use it for listening at work on Sennheiser earbud headphones that retailed for about $80 new so we're not talking HiFi. My only iPod connection currently, or planned, to my main stereo is via an Onkyo dock so I'm not getting the benefit of an external DAC so again we're not talking HiFi.

Knowing that I have somewhat limited space, what would you recommend for me to choose as the format for iTunes. I've never done anything beyond one of the lower compression MP3 options, is there something better?

Please provide a suggestion and why.

Thanks
mceljo
My coworker listens to headphones at work often and isn't an iPod owner. I set him up to listen to the same song that came from the same CD and iTunes computer. I didn't tell him anything beyond giving them both a listen and report if he heard any difference.

The funny thing was that he wanted to know what was different in the two iPods that could make them sound so different (this is my reading between the lines paraphrase). It was clear that he heard a difference and said the 128 AAC sounded fuller.

A test doesn't get any more blind than this, but this isn't a perfect test. Maybe I'll revese the files and let him try it again and see if the iPod rules or if the format rules.
ALAC is indeed 'lossless' in the sense that you can re-create a bit-accurate copy of the original file.....from the ALAC file.
The very definition of lossless:
Magfan I am cornfused - if ALAC is lossless, why do I get different readings on different ALAC files for bitrate, when querying them in iTunes or in Windows Explorer? For example AIFF always shows 1411 kbps. But ALAC files are all over the place. Is this because the ALAC compression is variable, and I am getting an average reading, like I hypothesize above? Incidentally I did some research and yeah its lossless. The bitrates are winding me up.
Mysterious stuff, no? No accounting for (or predicting) synergies, daffy combos, or personal taste -- far as I'm concerned. I've got a pair of Grado RS-80s that I use on the AAC stuff through the iPad/pod, mostly to and from work on the subway. Like'em just fine for that, in fact, think they sound surprisingly great. But when I tried the Grados on the home rig (all AIFF, Ayre QB-9, dedicated Headroom Home amp for the cans), it was downright unlistenable. Strident, harsh, painful, even. Plain couldn't do it. Actually, I was entirely floored by how genuinely unpleasant it was. Go figure? (But, then, my baseline for cans is Senn HD-600s with Cardas wires, which have got to be near as dark and syrupy as it comes....).

Anyway, not totally surprised to hear that, at least in some cases, there appear to be significant variances in iPod DACs / hardware. I can attest that the itunes software has been noticeably improving on the sonic end also, for what thats worth. Maybe something driver end? Could also be that the hardware at issue was in fact designed to optimize, balance or otherwise sound best with lower bitrate material? Gosh, I'm really reaching here.... Generally, I always assumed that the differences in sound through an iPod would be dominated by factors other than file format to the point where differences in software format wouldn't be particularly determinative. My basis form this assumption? Well, nothing whatsoever, actually. Just a guess that I've been happy enough to just go with. Anyway, very interesting "hard" results. And even more interesting when it's not what you expected going in. Keep us posted. Cheers.
Real,
My personal theory is that the bitrate is indeed variable but based on music complexity. This is pretty obvious by the bitrate speeds listed...if you enable that function in I-Tunes.

I just copied 'The Man With The Horn', a Miles Davis album. Indeed, the copy speed varied from 6x to over 10x. When I looked at the files, the copy speed pretty much agreed with the bitrate.

More complex music would demand a higher bitrate. As a test, I'd record a few simple test tones. If the bitrate is very low, that'd nail it.

My analogy would be my photography. JPG is a compressed format with many different levels available to users of Photoshop and other programs. Camera Raw, is basically a digital negative and is 4x or 5x larger than even a large JPeg. So, Camera Raw is an uncompressed format, while JPG is equal to an MP-3 / 320.
There's more to it than that, like screen resolution and bit depth, but you get the general idea.