Small hi-res player?

I am looking for a small portable music player that is able to playback hi-res files (at least, 24/96), but either I am blind, or these are still rare. One wonders why, now that these chips are cheap. I am able to record in 24/96 from my vinyl analog rig, and there is just no competition, even downsampled, it sounds much better than CD. Yet it is a shame not being able to use the hi-res format directly. I use a Cowon D2, which is very capable player, but it cannot go beyond the 16/44 (CD format level). I now have 80 gb of analog music on my hard disk and would really like to use it. Any advice? Input appreciated.
Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
This is becoming a one-man-band effort, but let me fill in with some new experience.

The Korg MR-1 does its job very well. Perhaps 80 percent right, 20 wrong, compared to what I've heard before. The wrong has to do with a certain hardness or harshness of tone especially in the treble. Yet most of this may be due to the limited DAC on the Korg, not the recording itself.

It is the best option for getting good digital sound out of vinyl, at a reasonable price - in my view. A one-trick pony, some called it, but it does its trick very well, and with the Audiogate software, export to PCM formats is easy, and the benefits are noticeable also downsampled. They include more room, ambience, clarity and liveability of the music. Most of the flat-wall effect of digitizing music is gone. Very good, in my opinion.

My best listening from digital sources, now, consists of the Korg Mr-1 direct to my Sennheiser 600 headphones. My mobile headphones, the in-ear Shure E3 is good, but the Sennheiser is much better and more suited to listening for differences on this level. The Korg recordings sound good and sometimes spectacular, compared to traditional digitizing, using the Korg itself as listening source, direct DSD. On my Cowon D2 downsampled to PCM-CD-level, the improvements are more muffled but still a step up.

I have a suspicion that a good tube headphone amp would make the listening experience direct from the Korg even better, but have not tried it yet. The Korg lacks digital out, but is very portable and easy to use.
Correction: "The Korg lacks digital out" is not quite right. It uses USB, so files can be transferred to the PC. The Audiogate software can export between MP3, PCM, and the DSD format.
We won't get hi-res players unless we use pressure. A-goners use Cowon, Archos, Sony, others. We need to make our voice known, to get better audio resolution. I've mailed Cowon, please do the same.
tripped over this thread while looking for something else, and now I cant even remember what I was looking for.
What a great idea! Especially now that portables have such large memory capacity.
We are talking about an ipod-like portable that would play hi rez right?
I dont do records yet but like the idea of dvda or sacd on a portable. Is that possible?
Thanks Jimmy,
Yes, we are talking about ipod-like players supporting high resolution.
I wonder why this development is so "delayed". It might help if audiophiles lobby producers to get going. I am in friendly contact with the Cowon importer to get new info on this matter. A major goal is to get PCM 192/24 and DSD playback, which would lift the whole business to a new level, to my ears.