Nietzsche and Runaway Audio Consumption

Came across this today. A lot of posts bring up the issue of "how much is enough?" or "when is audio consumption justified" etc.

Does this Nietzsche aphorism apply to audio buying? You be the judge! 

Friedrich Nietzsche“Danger in riches. — Only he who has spirit ought to have possessions: otherwise possessions are a public danger. For the possessor who does not know how to make use of the free time which his possessions could purchase him will always continue to strive after possessions: this striving will constitute his entertainment, his strategy in his war against boredom. 

Thus in the end the moderate possessions that would suffice the man of spirit are transformed into actual riches – riches which are in fact the glittering product of spiritual dependence and poverty. They only appear quite different from what their wretched origin would lead one to expect because they are able to mask themselves with art and culture: for they are, of course, able to purchase masks. By this means they arouse envy in the poorer and the uncultivated – who at bottom are envying culture and fail to recognize the masks as masks – and gradually prepare a social revolution: for gilded vulgarity and histrionic self-inflation in a supposed ‘enjoyment of culture’ instil into the latter the idea ‘it is only a matter of money’ – whereas, while it is to some extent a matter of money, it is much more a matter of spirit.” 

Nietzsche, Friedrich. 1996. Human, All Too Human: A Book for Free Spirits. Cambridge University Press. (p. 283-4, an aphorism no. 310)

I'm pretty sure @mahgister will want to read this one! (Because they speak so artfully about avoiding the diversion that consumption poses to the quest for true aesthetic and acoustic excellence.)

128x128hilde45

In the course to prove that they are much different than one another people buy artefacts, and create new one for the sake of the difference and feel then different at least if not superior...

This is a UNIVERSAL trends...

People are connected by the heart and differ by their bodies...

The spirit experience is the same all over the world but the way this experience manifest itself through the body and through our participation of nature differ...

Now read what Nietszche said:

«Only he who has spirit ought to have possessions: otherwise possessions are a public danger. »

Is it not clear?

Read audio thread where people vouch about gear forgetting the essential key to the experience: acoustic and psycho-acoustic....They think an amplifier is more important than the acoustic link between the gear/room/ears...

In audio experience it is not the possession that define the experience it is acoustic and psycho-acoustic law because the sound/music experience is the same, based on the same science, but artefacts differ and the way this experience manifested itself may differ...

«Why do you put your ears near the speakers my friend? I listen to my amplifier»-An audiophile dialogue in inferno

«My amplifier sound way better than my speakers»- An audiophile thinking about an upgrade

«With my electronic equalizer i created the sound i want to taste each passing minute nevermind the music» an anonymus DSP engineer audiophile

«This dac will sound marvellous in ANY room, with ANY gear, and for ANY ear » a seller

«Cables makes a difference ...NO not at all, cables makes no differences... But wait a minute tubes certainly did? i prefer S.S.» Audiophiles arguing

«Keep the room but changes the fuses» An audiophile

«My audio system reproduce exactly the lived original event no doubt!» An anonymus audiophile

«High end costly gear makes a difference in your pocket more than in S.Q. if you dont study physical acoustic and psycho-acoustic »-Myself

«I love Wagner»-Nietszche 1868

« Wagner is nuisible »-Nietszche 1888

«Sound is like the body, it can die, but the music stay anyway»-Groucho Marx🤓

«If you know how to whistle anyway you dont need a stereo system»-Roger Whitaker

«Music is beautiful!»- Helen Keller mute,deaf and blind

«We dont know what the sound/music relation is, anybody pretending to know is a fool, sound is an experience not an equation» A mathematician by formation which is also one of the greatest maestro and one of the greatest philosopher of the 20 th century which i will not name here because this citation is my own interpretation of his 1200 pages book on music experience history...

«Only 2 sounds resonated through all the universe in 1945: the explosion of Hiroshima and the AUM sound, extraterrestrial notice the first with the help of the other»- an anonymus whistleblower from secret program..

«Without air no music and no sound» -A physicist

«Sound need air like a fire need wood»- an alchemist

« Music need silence more than sound need air»-a musician

«Bats, blind people, and dolphins see  bodies qualities  with sounds; our spoken words are perhaps way more than we think they are» -Anonymus Smith 

«The importance of sound or of silence is way more exagerated»- a yogi

William James Sidis is so highly intelligent that his life is UNBELIEVABLE, for example:

Given IQ is a purely anthropocentric means of assessing intelligence, Sidis’ IQ is crudely estimated at 250-300.
Mastered higher mathematics and planetary revolutions by age 11.
Learned to spell efficiently by one year old.
Started reading The New York Times at 18 months.
Read Caesar’s Gallic Wars, in Latin (self-taught), as a birthday present to his Father in Billy’s fourth year.
Learned Greek alphabet and read Homer in Greek in his fourth year.
Learned Aristotelian logic in his sixth year and said to his mother thay he regret to have not studied logic BEFORE... 😊
At six, Billy learned Russian, French, German, and Hebrew, and soon after, Turkish and Armenian.
Learned Gray’s Anatomy at six. Could pass a student medical examination and enter University in medecine because it was the high bar at these times...
Total recall of everything he read.
Wrote four books between ages of four and eight. Two on anatomy and astronomy, lost.
Passed Harvard Medical School anatomy exam at age seven.
Passed MIT entrance exam at age eight.
Attempted to enroll in Harvard at nine.But he was too SHORT in body...
In 1909, became youngest student to ever enroll at Harvard at age 11.
Billy graduated from Harvard, cum laude, on June 24, 1914, at age 16. He teach mathematical texts in their original languages but cannot be taken seriously by students many years older than he was...
Billy entered Harvard Law School in 1916.
Billy could learn a whole language in one day!
Billy knew all the languages (approximately 200) of the world, and could translate among them instantly! At 16 years old he was in Anarchist society and he was spoken translator for all languages...
He wrote a book i read under 20 years old "The animate and the inanimate" where he predicted the existence of black hole before Oppenheimer and Chandrasekhar paper and the existence of non living organic matter in the universe with thermodynamical deep  reflections...
He wrote a book "the states and the Tribes"where he reflected about the origin of democracy in America and the Indian and explain their origin...Anyway he know all Indian languages because it wasa passion of his own and he was able to decipher the quipus of south america...
At 11 years at Harvard in 1910 he give a conference about the projection of four dimensional body in 3 D space and he answer question about the New Einstein theory... All is written ...

Now what is the main point about Sidis:

To liberate himself from celebrity and exploitation he deecide to be recluse

And exclude all art, sex, and MUSIC of his life... All the feminine asect of life and he lived in his head with few friends but alone in hiding...

Conclusion: Art, love, music is the salt of life and if a man lack of them his soul stiffen...Any man need a woman...

Sidis never touch a woman save one by the hand ONE time in his life at 16 years of age and keep his image on himself all his life even after this woman marry an pother man... He lived without art nor love....Save in his head...

The story of Sidis is so incredible than a biography of his life EXCEED science fiction...

The proof: i read Olaf Stapledon novel of a superhuman man in intelligence "odd John" a very interesting novel about intelligence i read long ago..

The incredible fact is the real Sidis exceed by a huge margin "ood john" himself in precocity and talents ... Why ? Because any novel must stay plausible and credible to be trusted and believed...

My point is music convey the spirit which keep our soul alive and keep off our body from drying perhaps....

My other point we are all unequal in gift but if someone here think he is more intelligent than all the others here i will recommend that he read sidis life and this will humble him ....

There is a deep mathematical theorem about the way a set of points are all near one another by relation to a fixed chosen point...

Sidis is my fixed chosen point then we are all equal here in intelligience or near so...

😊😊😊😊😊😊

merry Christmast

I forgot to say that Sidis even surpassed Norbert Wiener, himself an ex-child prodigy, whom he knows at Harvard because the created together a club of geniuses with only 3 members...( the other being the music composer Roger Sessions if my memory is good)

Norbert Wiener created Cybernetics by himself or old A.I , and make deep discoveries in mathematics and in physics like the late Janos von Neumann...But unlike Neumann the sympathetic Wiener refuse to speak to anyone who worked for the military... Think about that....A commoon point with Sidis who declare at 11 years old that he will take the SACRED VOUCH to never invented ANY technology because humanity is too war-like and dont understand society ( save some Indians tribes Sidis considered more advanced)

Believe it or not by the precocity of talents and the mastering of fields at young age , Sidis Exceed these two, Wiener and Neumann who worked among other thing the FIRST architecture of computers and who were the most gifted scientist in the world ....

A last point how do we know Sidis I.Q. ?

He lived before the second world war at a times where all government job necessitate testing routine I.Q. formulary , and at each new job he was tested and sometimes recognized because he was over any testable scale in I. Q. He quitted often many jobs because he hate to be named a "genius" after his own mother exploitation and his father bragging and stricted education...His I.Q. is only guessed by putting him out of the scale at least with 250....And probably 300 which is two times the minimal number usually associated with genius : 145...

He worked sometimes with 2 mechanical additive computer , one for each hand, and like it because he said i can think at the same time... 😊

His father spoke more than 20 languages, i think 24, wrote 17 books and was considered one of the greatest psychiatrist and psychologist in America with his friend William James who gives his name to the Sidis baby... He taught medecine to his uneducated future wife and euclidean geometry before marrying her , she was herself a genius they married and decided to train their baby... The rest is history...

Do you know why i quit reading S-F novel long ago?

Reality exceed fiction in miracles and mysteries....Reality dont ask to be believed first and last ...

I apologize to the OP for my long posts ...

It is the first time of my life that i was alone at Christmast... My wife is with his old mother and his sister is ill...

Stay safe in this time of isolation....