Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp

Willemj - I’m trying my Hifi-Man phones with my iPhone 6S today!!

The one thing that I’m leery of is using that much digital volume control.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Steve, the newer Antipodes is excellent but was not the equal of the Aurender N10. I did not run it with any upsampling, which is supposedly it’s best source mechanism. But it requires a computer which defeats the purpose (to me) of a solo server. And it was highly quirky software wise compared with the “it just works” N10. The Aurender products are just SO good!!!
Steve - I have conspired several dap’s and several portable DAC’s. The Chord Hugo 2 is REALLY good for portable use!!! My iPhone with the Hugo2 and Kennerton Odin’s makes a world class portable audio experience!!!!

if interested, I did a comparison of 67 headphones on Head-Fi. It’s a good read. It also includes several portable DAC’s. 👍🏻

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/65-headphones-7-dac-amps-1-persons-opinion-oh-my.854984/page-4
Larry:

Hanz Zimmer - Absurdity
Hanz Zimmer - Mombassa
Saint Sean - Danse Macabre
LadySmith - People Get Ready
Yes - Leave It
Stimela - Coal Train
Natalie Mechant - The Peppery Man
Aaron Neville - Everybody Plays the Fool
Dance of the Tumblers
Michael Buble - Today is Yesterday’s Tomorrow
Pictures at an Exhibiiton

there are other classical, jazz and rock tracks I use. But those are the primary tracks that I know REALLY well. 

Its actually a GREAT question!!

Lets all post our top 3 tracks we use when auditioning gear!!!! 

Lately, I’ve been using music with non-music in it or lots of percussion in it, like:

Andreas Vollenwider - Trilogy - Behind the Gardens

Doors - Riders on the storm

Pat Metheny - On the Road to You live - Half Life of Absolution

These are great to determine liveness and imaging.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio