Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Lol. see what you did to me Wisnon! Post a list and a preference and fans of other companies will come out and defend their honor....

Ok. I was actually expecting this so I'll addres it head on.

My initial game plan purposely excluded any powered woofer speaker. So the two obvious choices in this price range that were cut were the Vandy 7's and the Schweikert VR-55's; both powered woofers. I feel that one of my Burmester amps true virtues is their low frequency reproduction. So I really wanted to keep that job on the shoulders of my amps. I was true to that plan until I heard the Perfect8 speakers, which utilize a powered separate woofer enclosure.

I gave the Vandy and the Schweikert a fair listen at the show to get a taste for them both. The Schweikert is physically a bit on the large size for my room, but the Vandy is relatively small. I liked what I heard, but nothing grabbed me and said "you have to look into these further". I felt that the Schweikert would be too big as I am really trying to find the right speaker to give me the performance I want and the flexibility to put them where they will sound their best. It's a challenge.

I'm not making a purchase just yet. And there is a Vandy dealer here in NJ that I can go visit. I'll find time and give them another listen.
Richfield_Hunter - do you know which amp they use for the internal subs? It's that typical 400 watt spec which strongly suggests a Hypex UCD400 or more likely the OEM UCD variant. It's a very good amp and used frequently in the high end world for internal or external powered subs mated to expensive speakers.
Matt,

Franco Serblin was the original founder of Sonus Faber:

More chat here, including my opinion:
http://audioshark.org/speakers-10/franco-serblin-ktema-speakers-any-opinion-5258.html
Matt,

BTW, thanks for the comprehensive summary. Good job.

Your opinion, so no need to agree or disagree. I only need to digest. Its a decent frame of reference.

The Polymer Masters cost a LOT more, but they may have solved the low end issue.

Another interesting speaker is the German Brand Fischer& Fischer. Made of special Granite, the cabinet give new meaning to the term, INERT. Heil tweeter used for the top end.

To go a bit further afield, The Austrian make Trenner&Friedl and the Italian Onda Liguera are 2 other quality contenders, as is the Greek Ypsilon brand.
The Polymer Masters are too big and I'm not a fan of side firing woofers in a small room. And they are well over $100k, I think closer to $200k.

Thanks for the other tips. I'll read up. There are SO many good speakers out there. I just wish Statement didn't also mean Holy Crap $$$$ !