Buying used vs. New

Does anyone have reservations about buying used?
I used to swear buy it until recently. I bought a preamp that arrived with a humming problem from the transformer because the delivery company dropped it. Fortunately, I had bought it new and the store was able to replace it. I was just thinking, what if this was used, I would be out of luck in terms of getting it fixed. Also, I bought a used piece of equipment on Audiogon a few years ago that is now giving me trouble. It is out of warranty and was fairly expensive, and now has issues. Now I'm seriously considering buying new, even though my money will only stretch about half as far.
fruff1976
I have a mix of used and new in my system, which is the first audiophile quality one I have put together. I have had good luck so far buying used equipment. I would say, however, that one should never pay more than half of the original retail price for a used item, the only exception to this would be if it basically hadn't actually been used. That is pretty much the rule of thumb for any type of high-end goods. And of course, you have to do your research and make sure that you know what you are getting.
Post removed 
I agree with Tvad. Rigid policies are inappropriate in the face of inconsistent circumstances. There is no formula that can be applied universally since every situation is different. Factory direct products with strict pricing policies like Red Wine Audio maintain a very high resale in the neighborhood of 75%, whereas the Talon Khorus was dumped into the marketplace and now sells used for maybe 25% of list price.
I don't think the resale percentage of these products reflects their relative value or desirability.
Some vintage products fade into oblivion only to be rediscovered eventually and then their selling price soars due to scarcity. Certain turntables from Lenco, Garrard and Technics bear this out.
Post removed 
Rigid policies are inappropriate in the face of inconsistent circumstances.

Macrojack,

Do you work for a pharmaceutical? This statement bears resemblance to the warning "if it lasts for more than 4 hours contact your doctor"...(why a doctor, in particular, should be open to such overtures I just can't figure out)