Who's Your Favorite Bass Players; Why?

I like Paul Chambers for his groove and arco. Sam Jones for his Time. Rufus Reid becaues he taught me. Jaco because of the absolute passion. Christian McBride because he's the MAN righ now--and he's the director of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific, which is my Alma Mater; Ron Carter because of everything he's recorded; George Maraz because of his soul; Richard Davis because of his intensiity; Reggie Workman due to his authenticity; Lonnie Plaxico because of his work with he Jazz Messengers; Scott LaFaro--BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST! (Eddie Gomez and Chuck Isreal are cool, too!). Who're you 'un?
crazy4blues
I agree with everyone that has been mentioned. (Well almost) ;-)
In the Pop music world, coming out of the 60's I would have to say the two players I found to be most impressive were James Jamerson and Paul McCartney. Jamerson is a given by now I hope. (!) With the "Standing in the Shadows" movie and all. So would like to say take a listen to the style changes and tone changes bassist Paul McCartney added to many a great Beatle song. I think he showed some of the most creative bass lines of any "pop" bassist with songs such as the wild ride of "Helter Skelter", to the rocking "Yer Blues" to tripped out "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", to the sliding and bouncing "Dear Prudence" and many others. McCartney also put in solid performances on all of the other Beatles material throughout the years of the band while also writing, singing, playing guitar, piano, and even drums on "The Ballad of John and Yoko".
Last word.
Can I mention Mr.Verdine White bassist of Earth, Wind & Fire? He came up with some of the funkiest, most elegant bass lines to play along with EWF's great chord changes in the mid to late 70's. Any how about the dude Jimmy Williams (not a household name) who played bass on all that Philadelphia International Records 70's stuff. Like Teddy Pendergrass solo albums, Curtis Mayfield, the O'Jays, etc. Not a lot of notes but what a deep, deep pocket/groove!
Thank you all bass players! Keep on playing!
Les Claypool has to be mentioned in this thread. I really enjoy his precision player and rhythmic combinations. Primus is the reason I started to listen to King Crimson. I'm going to be dating myself here, but I'll also give a nod to Jason Newstead formerly of Metallica. I've always digged Jason's demeanor. I'm glad that he's out on his own making the music that he likes now. Fieldy of Korn and Twiggy formerly of Marilyn Manson are also mildly assuming. But not because of any technical merit. ;-)

Les Claypool is really a standout in this category though.
John Entwhistle--#1, IMO
Mike Watt (Minutemen, Firehose)
Paul McCartney
Colin Moulding (XTC)
Arthur Barrow (Zappa)
Christian McBride
Stanley Clarke
Tony Levin
Graham Maby (Joe Jackson)
Les Claypool
Bruce Foxton (Stiff Little Fingers, The Jam)