whats your idea of loud music.

ok here' what got me thinking about all of this.

i was in a dealers show room a while back checking out his ar monoblocks(sweet)& he put some smooth jazz on for me,the maggies sounded fantastic & i asked him to turn it up to a loud volume so i could see how the maggies responded.

after he gave me a stupid look he turned it up a notch & then stepped away & covered his ears like they might rupture or something & were talking about the volume being at the point where i could of heard him fart from 5 feet away,i asked him why he wouldnt turn it up loud & he told me that he wasnt sure what i thought loud was but the volume he had was more than enough for anybody.

i also see threads where guys reccomend these low power amps that i have owned with speakers i have owned & they say that the amp speaker combination can obtain listening levels that are not only louder than anybody would care to listen but unsafe levels to boot & when i had the same gear i thought the combination was way under powered & no where near being loud.

i consider loud to be when you can feel as well as hear the music & not from sitting right in front of the rig,i also consider loud to be when things on the walls move & my coffee cup has a little ripple on top of the coffee or when the dog runs for cover,i also consider it to be not loud if somebody in the same room can talk to you from 5 feet away & be heard.

im not looking for a right or wrong answer im just curious as to what other guys consider loud to be defined as.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
I must be somewhere in the middle of the loudness preference scale.
Went to a dealer and was able to listen to some Wilson Audio Maxx speakers. The sales guy wouldn't turn the volume up enough for me to experience any of the bass slam and dynamics I know the speakers have to be capable of..He said they actually are playing louder than they seem because they do not distort. There may be some truth to that but I wanted to feel some of the energy but, noooo.
Then on the other hand I was invited to go listen to a nice fellows system that had some Revel Salons with Meridian and Levinson gear. He played the music so loud I thought my brain would explode. Owwwch! I kept reaching for the remote. I could not hear a word he said the whole time we were listening and he sat only about 4 feet away.
I do like to feel the music a bit, dynamics, bass and drums and such.
But no screeming stuff and if it's going to be loud no harsh garbage please!
"im not looking for a right or wrong answer im just curious as to what other guys consider loud to be defined as." 85 db and up, with good, crisp, accurate reproduction is loud for me. In certain musical passages, I'll push the volume higher for the dramatic effect, but that may not be what the performer had in mind. The remote volume control can be good and bad.

For an extended listening session, I put on the CD, close my eyes and with the volume set on the low side I begin to slowly increase the volume (via the remote control) until the sound "snaps into focus". When it just sounds right to my ears on that listening session, the volume is right. That is how I do it.
I mostly agree with the above. But since when does WPC indicate loud? Good sounding loud any way. Driver excursion, SPL, and control is far more important than WPC, any day, and this requires amperage, not just voltage.

BWOE, I have experimented with a pair of AB International 1100A's that I have vs. the pair of Protons I use, the Protons sound much more musical, and have the same output dB as far as my ears are concerned, given my listening rooms size. The Protons are 110wpc, the AB International's are 550wpc. Different amplifiers obviously, but they both do the same thing.

There comes a point when a room can only tolerate "x" amount of SPL, any more than that and it sounds like crap, imaging goes out the window because your ears can not decipher the music from all the reverberation due to inherent room acoustics.

It took me quite a long time to get my cross-overs "tuned" or dialed in to my particular room w/my given drivers of choice. Move to the middle and the sound was ok, move to the back and it was bass heavy, and so on and so forth. The wave form created by a specfic speaker driver became completely different depending on placement, and crossover point. Where I wanted a given freq. with in the room was a chore to say the least.

All this is very driver (raw) dependent. Even with all the experimenting I did, certain electronics, esp. speakers have a sound of their own, no matter how much power you add to the mix.

Why did I ramble on? Because loud equates to SPL IMO, not WPC. So, for a given person, 90dB might be loud, but for people like myself, I prefer "live" levels, because I listen to a lot of "live" recorings. But studio recorded music (atleast for me) doesn't require the same power to be enjoyable. For me the essence of the source material is different, and my ears tell my brain this when I listen to a given type of music, loud is dependent upon the music type there fore, and not WPC.
My wife and I of course differ over what loud is....my definition is not being able to hear the phone ring 2 feet away when I'm listening to my favorites..A person's rig should be able to satisfy at all levels....Live music is not a quiet affair...this will be an interesting thread
go back to the dealer with humble pie/rockin the fillmore and crank it up until he cries like a little girl. remember, the flea-watt amps where originally built for and by a generation that thought vaughn monroe was a god.